Security Update 2019-003 Update Is Out

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by flowrider, May 13, 2019.

1. flowrider, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
  2. ashleykaryl macrumors regular

ashleykaryl

I had major problems with this one. It refused to install despite various attempts and then everything was going wrong. After a lot of hassle I ended up reinstalling the OS at 2.00am and even that required a command line in terminal because the recovery service wasn't responding.

Through blurry eyes this morning I saw that had completed and there was some message about 1Password not integrating with 3rd party apps following the reinstall, which appears to have included that security update. I've been seeing a few problems lately with High Sierra and plan on doing a clean install before moving to Mojave as soon as the workload calms down a little.

3. Mejoco_LC475 macrumors newbie

Mejoco_LC475

These High Sierra Security Updates seem really buggy, 2018-002 gave my a huge headache (2017 iMac), I ended up rolling back/reinstalling the system via TM (the first time in a very long time an Apple update has gone wrong). I've closely monitored all the feedback on all the Security Updates ever since and multiple users report issues with every update, I was really hoping 2019-003 was going to be a different story.

4. pshufd macrumors 6502a

I turned on my system and it went away for quite a while and eventually came back and I was expecting Mojave to be installed but it was still HS. I looked in Apps and found that a security update had been installed. It was a big one. I have my machine back now. I assume that my other HS system will do the same thing.

I'm definitely hooking it up to my Time Machine disks to do multiple backups.

5. Racineur macrumors 6502

Racineur

Update yesterday and it went smoothly as can be. Definitely, I'm staying on HS. I have Mojave on an external SSD and true it is a little bugged. My localization is French but some messages appear in English like "Rebooting now" and some other System messages, needs 2 times "Enter" on the welcome screen to start, old images keep reappearing after I selected others for background. Nothing important nor life threatening but makes you wonder why older OS are mostly bug free. Viva High Sierra.

6. katbel macrumors regular

katbel

Did you use the
    iTunes Device support update that came with the Security update too?

I DO NOT want to use iTunes past 12.6.3 and I'm afraid this update could ruin or update my iTunes 12.6.3 to a newer version where I will not be able to control apps download etc.
    Please post your experience , thanks

7. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

First time the update wasn’t able to install on my Mac, 2nd time everything went ok and it installed normally. Not sure why the last few update have not installed properly the first time yet seem to eventually install if the process is repeated. I actually was expecting the update to not install normally, hope this isn’t the norm from now on. Almost like rolling dice..

8. flowrider thread starter macrumors 603

flowrider

I got the Security Update from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2004?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

It did NOT include the iTunes Device support update. I installed that separately. I run the latest iTunes.

Lou

9. sgw123 macrumors member

beware this update - never had an issue before but this one nearly bricked my macbook pro (2013) I'm on High Sierra and after this I got a screen saying 'The macOS couldn't be completed'. I had to revert to a Time Machine backup which I hadn't actually done before. It took several hours and now, three days later, I'm still finding parts of the system having to update themselves - photos at the moment for example. Had to rescan Logic plugins, redownload all email - even though surely that would be on the Time Machine backup? And now photos is rebuilding itself slowly.Not too impressed by the Time Machine process as I'd imagined it would be pretty painless and definitely not impressed by this update!

10. pshufd, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019

pshufd macrumors 6502a

11. Almogos macrumors newbie

Have the exact same issue. I solved it temporary using ALT on boot and selecting Macintosh HD instead of Mac OS Install

12. Almogos macrumors newbie

I was able to resolve this by booting from Macintosh HD, downloading the security update from Apple's website (https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2004?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) and installing it again.

13. mj_ macrumors 6502

mj_

Installed on my 2017 MacBook without a hitch.

14. Not So New Guy macrumors newbie

Not So New Guy

Installed on my iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011 also sans hitch...;)

15. poorcody macrumors 6502a

poorcody

Had problems installing it too -- got stuck in a reboot "Unable to Install" loop. Once I broke out of that, it installed fine the second time, although I made sure to do each update separately then (i.e. Safari update, iTunes Device update, then Security Update).

I will add, the Snapshot feature of APFS really helped on this one, and I was impressed with it. When I got into the loop, I rebooted into Recovery Mode, selected "Restore from Time Machine Backup", selected the internal source drive, then selected to restore from the Snapshot which the system seems to have made automatically prior to the update. It restored the drive in a matter of seconds, I rebooted, and did the install again. Very slick.

16. mj_ macrumors 6502

mj_

Installed on my 2017 iMac without a hitch as well.

17. Digital64 macrumors newbie

Digital64

Just Installed on my MacBook15 late 2011 with disabled discrete video, Half Mac Os HS and Half EFI Ubuntu 18.04.02, everything smooth besides the fact it updated my boot rom to 85.0.0.0.0

18. sgw123 macrumors member

After my first bad experience with this update I bit the bullet and tried again. As suggested I downloaded and installed each part separately this time, and I also disconnected all external drives. All went fine second time round!

19. machenryr macrumors 6502

machenryr

This has been a nightmare. It still is. I was in the install loop for a long time until I realized I could quit the installer from the hidden menu. I thought it was the OS High Sierra install I had been trying to do.

I may have bricked it. I selected a different start up disk but haven’t seen it yet. It has to boot.

20. machenryr macrumors 6502

machenryr

Did Apple do this on purpose to force people to buy new Macs? I haven’t been able to get my Mac back. I tried to install probably 20 times or more. Finally I chose the menu to select a new startup disk to quit the installer. Nothing on reboot. I’ve reset the pram three times. I repaired permissions on target start up. Nada.

21. sgw123 macrumors member

The only way I could get things working when I was in that situation was to wipe the startup drive and start again with Time Machine. Hopefully that might work in your case?

22. machenryr macrumors 6502

machenryr

I don’t have time machine. I do have s back up drive with SuperDuper

23. machenryr macrumors 6502

machenryr

Wow. That’s the only way? Has Apple said anything about this?

24. smokesletsgo macrumors regular

So you tried to install this security update and it corrupted your whole OS? If so, this happened to me too - just reinstall the OS without wiping the drive, use internet recovery (CMD + ALT + R) or regular recovery if it works (CMD + R), all your files after installation will be there.

25. Mejoco_LC475 macrumors newbie

Mejoco_LC475

Having not ran any security updates since running into real problems with Security Update 2018-02 (Nov 18), I finally bit the bullet and ran this update (17G7024). The good news is it appears to have installed without issue, 1.8 GB download via the MAS, took a while to complete the update, around 5 install/progress bars and 20 minutes in total. 2017 iMac, 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7, SSD.

Following advice from others, removed all peripheral devices/drives/monitors and installed the update as an individual component (not update all).