Security Update April 2002

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Now in your Software Update control panel:

Security Update April 2002 includes the following updated components which provide increased security to prevent unauthorized access to applications, servers, and the operating system.

OpenSSH v3.1p1
rsync v2.5.2
groff v1.17.2
PHP v4.1.2
sudo v1.6.5p2
mod_ssl v2.8.7
mail_cmds

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
This is good. The more updates to 10.1 the better.

I believe someone posted a different thread about the lack of "new in os 10.1.3 update" picture at the top of Apple's OS X page. Apparently his theory about a new update was correct

I really like seeing Apple releasing updates to the unix part of its OS--I feel almost as good as my linux buddy who updates his box everyday with new builds

Well almost as good :)

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
I find it REALLY annoying how I don't have to restart for this update when the update for iTunes (which I have yet to download for uptime reasons) requires a restart!!

Any idea why iTunes would require a restart while the "security" updates don't? Maybe I'm just used to Microsoft "security" updates require 50 restarts

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
I'm addicted to software updates :D and are happy to see that apple are keeping up to date with any security concerns (unlike you know who!)... Just a tip for anyone who dosen't like downloading software updates via the prefpane (like me -- os 10.1.3 crashed my system when updated via prefpane) go to http://www.apple.com/swupdates and download it from there. Also useful for ppl with localized os's (who need int'l english updates for instance).

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
yay
now i dont have to put in php 4.1.2 manually

its about time though...they shouldve included the php update a while ago

no restart eh? cool

sonyrules

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2001
Ohio
Updates are good

oh boy.. UPDATES !!!! At least apple releases them a bunch at a time unlike some other OS that spits out one here in there...

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
hey eyelikeart im updating as i type as well!

but what im thinking is that the last security update preceded a large update so perhaps this is a sign of another update sometime soon? ok so im just update happy. but hey maybe someone can tell me why im right, id love to hear it.

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
Originally posted by kishba
I find it REALLY annoying how I don't have to restart for this update when the update for iTunes (which I have yet to download for uptime reasons) requires a restart!!

Any idea why iTunes would require a restart while the "security" updates don't?
One is Carbon [itunes], one is Cocoa (or not even that, just BSD, Mach, however you want to level it)

Just a guess

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
Originally posted by Wry Cooter

One is Carbon [itunes], one is Cocoa (or not even that, just BSD, Mach, however you want to level it)

Just a guess
I'm not sure if that's it either... I used to think iTunes was just an App (didn't matter to the rest of the system)

But now (since it needs to reboot for the update) I'm beginning to think iTunes is more tightly integrated into the OS (I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing--M$ does the same thing)

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock

I'm not sure if that's it either... I used to think iTunes was just an App (didn't matter to the rest of the system)

But now (since it needs to reboot for the update) I'm beginning to think iTunes is more tightly integrated into the OS (I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing--M$ does the same thing)
it has nothing to do with it being "integrated into the system" so rest your fears. its basically just like os9. it drops some files into the system folder that need to be loaded on startup is all.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
I must say I do get a little excited when I see that icon popping up telling me there is an update waiting for me. Pathetic? Maybe. But I know my G4 is about to take it's medicine, and I like it.

lordsinforge

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2002
Ithaca, NY

Well if you think about it iToon needs to be able to reach the hardware level, while the other's don't need to connect with an iPod. Plus iToons is using quicktime for playback, so it may be replacing some sort of system file that allows the seamless integration

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
iTunes restart.

I don't see any reason that they couldn't do an iTunes update without a restart. There just has to be a way around it. I mean the "higher level" libraries and stuff related to the GUI load after the system itself gets up and running.

Unless the iTunes updates are doing something to the networking subsystem, adding a kernel extension or effecting the "BSD" layer (not bloody likely!), then the OS shouldn't require a restart.

The next time I update iTunes I'm going to force quit the updater after it gets ready to restart. I can't imagine anything bad will happen and I'll see if all of the iTunes functionality works.

Although, it seems like they are bundling updates to system OpenGL handling with iTunes. Remember the last release? I think that should be a seperate download/install. Bundling core system functionality with an mp3 player seems like a folly to me.

Matthew

mjtomlin

Jan 19, 2002
Any idea why iTunes would require a restart while the "security" updates don't?
iTunes installs a kernel extension (hardware driver) for iPod ... needs a restart to load.

Usually security is all software, nothing to do with hardware. Therefore the security apps are just killed and reloaded after installation.

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
Originally posted by buffsldr
I must say I do get a little excited when I see that icon popping up telling me there is an update waiting for me. Pathetic? Maybe. But I know my G4 is about to take it's medicine, and I like it.
I'm glad I read the label on the bottle first. I'm not that sick.

In fact, I've forgotten why I needed the medicine.

No way I'm installing 10.1.3 without a total complete clone back up of 10.1.2 as it is, as 10.1.2 is rock stable for me.

And Retrospect is just getting on its legs. And methods such as Carbon Clone Copier seem to require a bit too much finger crossing. And I have to find the disk space first.

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
Thanks AmbitiousLemon, lordsinforge, and mjtomlin

I didn't think about how they integrated the iPod functionality... I guess I was just used to hearing about how linux could update things by just restarting a service or something (according to my linux friend at least)

i really wish X could update itself without needing to reboot... I really do like gloating about >5 day uptimes to my windows friends

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Someone mentioned this already, but it makes sense. If you go to System Preferences: Login, iTunes has some start up items. So this makes sense why a restart is required for iTunes.

However, I am very happy with this update. The server where I check my e-mail using telnet is closing off telnet for security reasons, so I needed SSH 3.1. I was pretty happy that SSH was already installed with 10.1, so I wouldn't have to download some shareware client that only works for 15 days or whatever. Now I do have SSH 3.1 which is supposed to be more secure than 3.1. I had downloaded the source for 3.1, but I didn't feel like going back to my Linux days of having to compile the source with makes and makefiles and ./installs. Blech. Also, it was nice that I didn't even need to restart the system and SSH 3.1 is working.

Also another great thing about SSH 3.1 is that when I'm working with pico, I can once again use the ^O command to save without having to exit the program. With the telnet offered by OS X, I couldn't do this for some reason.

OS X just keeps getting cooler and cooler.

Newborn77

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
Caracas, Venezuela
I guess the restart for iTunes relates to the drivers it installs for cd writers and stuff that it needs to burn CDs.
By the way...
Wasn't Mac OS X supposed to be able to load/unload drivers dynamically? (without the need of a restart). So why the restart? Is it that Mac OS X has some problems with that specific function that Apple has not fixed (yet)?

Correct me if I'm wrong please!
Cheers

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by Newborn77
I guess the restart for iTunes relates to the drivers it installs for cd writers and stuff that it needs to burn CDs.
By the way...
Wasn't Mac OS X supposed to be able to load/unload drivers dynamically? (without the need of a restart). So why the restart? Is it that Mac OS X has some problems with that specific function that Apple has not fixed (yet)?

Correct me if I'm wrong please!
Cheers
well like i said before iTunes installs some extension files in your extensions folder as well as some startup items. its just like in 9. just take a look in your system folder. nothing too scary, pretty much like os9. all the scary unix stuff is well hidden.

conceptDawg

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2002
kextload

Actually, you CAN load and unload kernel extensions without restarting. When the OS X beta was out I used to unload the audio hardware extension for classic so that I could use my SoundSticks in X.

> man kextload
> man kextunload

That'll get you more info.
Not very good to play around with if you don't know what you're doing, by the way.

As to why Apple doesn't do this with the iTunes updaters...well, only they know. I'm sure that there is a good reason and that it probably doesn't have anything to do with taking over the world.

I do seem to remember there being some problems with unloading/loading some extensions...but that was way back in the beta. Dunno about now.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
2 notes

1. iTunes doesn't actually require a restart, just a logout/login, at least from what I can tell. I think it's that login item "iTunesHelper" (does anyone actually know what that does?).

2. The security update changes the build number substantially, from 5Q45 to 5Q110.

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
Re: 2 notes

Originally posted by GeeYouEye
1. iTunes doesn't actually require a restart, just a logout/login, at least from what I can tell. I think it's that login item "iTunesHelper" (does anyone actually know what that does?).

It was my impression that that only login showed up with people using Toast, to keep Toast and iTunes from stepping on each others CD-r privileges, and allow more CD-r drives to work.
It was a free app, now I think it is distributed (still free, yet not independantly distributed) by either Roxio or Apple or both for that purpose, in installation packages.

The iTunes CD-RW Helper mimics the inquiry string of a supported drive, so it acts as a driver, or allows existing drivers to be shared at least.