Seeking Advice MacBook Pro 13"-i5 w/SSD or 13"-i7 stock? (For Web/Design work in CS5)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by buzzkill007, Apr 26, 2011.

1. buzzkill007, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011

buzzkill007 macrumors newbie

I'm looking at getting a macpro to use as a laptop/backup production machine for my web shop. We're running iMac 27" i7's and I'm not expecting same levels of performance but I do want something snappy for the day to day adobe suite work we do (Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator) and the IDE's we run to code php (Netbeans)

The 13" is looking like a great deal for cost but I'd really love the community's opinion two options I'm considering.

Option A - $1520 USD - Mac Book Pro 13" i5 ($1200) + Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD 120GB ($320)
    - And I get a useless 320 GB external 5200 rpm drive which I suppose I'd use as a clone destination for the SSD in case of total drive failure (or I'd need to do a hardware return with apple)

Option B - $1500 USD - Mac Book Pro 13" i7 stock

Some Considerations:

No laptop is going to have the storage we're getting a OWC USB/FW/eSata "toaster" drive bays we're using for all our macs. The SSD's internal 120GB should be fine for OS + Programs (no movies or other disk-space eaters expected). On the road we can live with less storage.

Battery life isn't all that important as it's mostly going to live plugged in.

I'm assuming the extra cost of the 6G is worth the performance in my use case, but if there's other SSD suggestions I'd love to hear them. I'm kind of marketing-brainwashed to think the OWC offerings are more reliable with all the dead space they dedicate to SSD errors but as I've never owned one this is not first hand experience.

We run fusion Virtual Machines to test Internet Explorer 6,7,8 various windows flavors ... These will eat up about 40GB for the windows images but it's nice if they run quick.

Reliability is very very important to me.

2. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

You mentioned 3 different Apples...the Mac Pro is a desktop you can drop $20 grand into, the iMac is a desktop, and the MacBook Pro (MBP) is the laptop...

3. buzzkill007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about that - I was thinking the 13" Macbook Pro - I've edited the original post to fix options A & B. My shop has iMac 27" i7 which are great for production but I need something that's portable, but still is decent speed for the tasks outlined.