Seeking advice! Tons of problems with my phone *long read*

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rrjr80, Jul 24, 2008.

1. rrjr80 macrumors member

rrjr80

Hello folks,

So I sold my V1 iPhone to a friend of mine and purchased the 3G on Day one and have been having a slew of problems. After getting home and charging my phone, I kept having problems with the LCD screen. When opening applications, I'd get a purple screen that would slowly fade to white. The only thing that would resolve this issue was rebooting the phone. After restoring twice and still having the same result, I returned to the Apple store where I made the purchase.

After initially being told I would have to wait in line again to get my phone replaced, I was eventually told I could come inside to exchange my phone. I spoke to an employee that explained he could exchange the phone but reminded me that AT&T was having problems with activation and I should probably return on Monday. However he gave me his card and wrote "Replace DOA iPhone when activation issues have subsided," and told me to simply call to confirm stock and then I could return for a swap, no appointment needed. I decided I would try back on Monday.

Well, of course they didn't have any phones on Monday and I had to keep calling back each day to check stock. I spoke to several employees that were very rude, one of which put me on hold for about ten minutes to check stock. Finally a completely different person came on the phone and said "We are sold out, you will have to make a Genius appointment for Friday to have your phone checked. We'll probably have more on Friday.

Well they didn't, and they finally had some today. Of course by the time I called, they were all sold out. I'm not having the problem with the LCD anymore, but here are the problems I am having:

-Some applications crash repeatedly, for example the AIM app will crash about 70% of the time. On occasion I have to click the home button a few times before the black screen goes away and the home screen returns.

-About once a day the phone just shuts off and restarts when I tap to open an application.

-I constantly crash when viewing webpages, the same pages I used to read frequently with my V1 phone. Crashes to a black screen and then back to the home screen very frequently.

-When using Google maps, it repeatedly tells me I'm in the heart of Denver , Colorado and I live in Maryland.

-The keyboard lags frequently when using text messaging.

-The whole touch screen is very laggy in general. Pinching to zoom lags, scrolling lags, tapping phone numbers lags, scrolling through contacts etc.

-Battery life seems very inconsistent. Yesterday I got about 2.5 hours of Wi-Fi browsing, 20 minutes of talk time and 14 hours of standby time before it was at 20%. Today I got an hour of Edge browsing, 45 minutes of talk time and 10 hours of standby and I'm at less than half battery life.

I know that the iPhone isn't perfect, but it just seems like I am having a lot of problems. I know that 2.0 has its bugs, but I'm also wondering if I have a lemon phone. My V1 was almost perfect in comparison to the 3G phone. I don't have have 3G where I live or work (even though I was told that I was in the coverage area before I purchased the phone), so I have 3G disabled.

So is this just 2.0 bugs or a lemon phone? Restoring the phone hasn't resolved any of my issues, and discharging and recharging the battery three times hasn't helped with that issue. If I do decide to return the phone, I have to keep playing the iPhone roulette as I wait for new phones to come in because they refuse to set one aside for me. They keep telling me that I have to call them and that they won't call me.

Any advice is much appreciated.

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Well if your phone has been declared DOA by a genius, then I would just go ahead and switch it out. They likely have to honor that declaration, and you might as well see if a new phone is having some of the same problems (I haven't had any of the issues you've described besides the keyboard lagging, which I think has something to do with syncing contacts).

I'm actually kind of shocked that the store near you doesn't have phones set aside for replacements, based on other stories I've read on here.

3. rrjr80 thread starter macrumors member

rrjr80

I agree completely in regards to the stock set aside for replacements. When I made the first call about replacing the phone, the employee even said, "I believe we have some set aside for replacements." I've since been told by other employees at that Apple store that they don't have any set aside specifically for replacement, and I'm somewhat shocked myself.

The only thing I worry about is replacing the phone and getting one with other problems.

4. chic macrumors newbie

Some problems too

I'm experiencing some lag time on the phone as well. This is my first iphone, so I don't know if it's a normal thing. Sometimes I would tap something couple of times because I thought it didn't go through. The other day, safari was stuck. I couldn't pinch, make a new page or anything. I had to shut it off and restart it.

I thought I pay data plan so that I can go online where there's network service, but it's always asking me to select a wifi at my college. I can't sign in for some reason because it keeps saying my log in failed. Maybe I'm mistaken that I could go online anytime? I just have to connect to wifi in order to get online?

I tried to set up my hotmail account, but no go either. Do they not allow to receive hotmail?

Those are the major problems I have. I don't know if a genius would be able to help me with them.

5. Soreo macrumors regular

Soreo

1) Yeah, that sucks. Apple doesn't do hotmail (hotmail is a microsoft email service. Even if there is Microsoft Exchange now, Microsoft probably didn't pay them enough or didn't bother messing with the iPhone).
    I myself have a Gmail account, though. Seriously consider getting Gmail. It's the best.

2) A data plan also includes all the data you're getting through wi-fi, so you are definitely getting what you're paying for. and plus, you would much rather be using wi-fi anyway since it's faster than 3G and EDGE, DEFINITELY faster than EDGE.

6. rrjr80 thread starter macrumors member

rrjr80

7. HyQuality macrumors regular

They DO have some iphones set aside for replacements. I went through a very similar situation, and what you need to do is very simple:

1) Walk into an apple store (DO NOT WAIT ON LINE)
    2) Walk straight up to a manager
    3) Explain the situation to him/her and tell him that you were promised a replacement
    4) If he/she gives you a hard time, DEMAND a new one immediately
    5) They will give you what you want.

I know it sounds harsh, but they shouldn't give you a hard time. The manager I delt with was very nice about it and took very good care of me. He even threw in free applecare for both of my iphones (2 lines) and free power support screen protectors.

8. rrjr80 thread starter macrumors member

rrjr80

Well, I guess I'll go this weekend to try and get my phone replaced. It's worth a shot I guess.