Seem to be stuck.. 27" i7 iMac or 24" ACD + 64GB 3G iPad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MMM.PWR, Apr 12, 2010.

1. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

As the topic says, I'm struggling with this [difficult?] decision.

My budget is $2k, more or less

I'll start with what I already have, if it'll help.

2009.5 15" MBP 2.66, Magic Mouse, Apple wired keyboard/numpad, M Stand, etc. I also have an iPhone 3GS

I basically have my home setup and am able to use my laptop as a desktop, however I most definitely need more screen real estate. My original plan was to pick up a 27" in the summer with the back to school incentives, but am considering just keeping my laptop as my "main" computer and just attach a nice ACD to it instead, with money left over to get the higher end iPad when it's released.

Choice #1
    If I go for the iMac, I'll have a very nice computer with a very big screen, but even then I will want that second screen - leaving me to use my laptop as the second screen AND computer - so I'll have to end up having to transfer files from the MBP to the iMac and vice versa.

Choice #2
    I get myself the 24" ACD and the iPad instead. I have the dual screen (ACD + MBP screen) while eliminating the hassle of 2 keyboards, 2 mice, and file sharing. And on top, I have the iPad - which would be neat to have, but I don't mind real books and I have my iPhone for music and miscellaneous things. My friend has one and while I like it, it is not a must have. Not to mention I could just pick one up later.

So here I am, stuck. A friend told me it was a no brainer and to go for the iPad + ACD. What do you guys think?

edit: I do heavy photo editing.

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

It is a no brainer ... 27" i7 iMac. You'll ask yourself why you ever used a laptop to do photo editing.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I agree. iPad can't replace a laptop so with iMac you would have a nice laptop and very nice desktop.

4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I just went through this. I was a PC user switching to mac and wanted a higher end 15" MBP to hook up with a 24" monitor and have portability. My main use is 'heavy photo editing'. Well, I got tired of waiting for new MBP (which look like they may be released today) and went for a 27" iMac instead. No regrets and I believe this setup is superior to a MBP and external for regular use. I can also connect to my 21" monitor to use dual monitors but doubt I ever will.

I will be picking up a low end 13" for travel so for me and my use, Photoshop, Photomatix HDR..., the iMac was the way to. And even with a C2D this thing sings. Hope that helps