Seems like the iPhone 5 is the most durable iPhone ever

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nexsta, Sep 23, 2012.

1. nexsta macrumors 6502

After watching this drop tests with the iPhone it seems like Apple finally made a very durable phone. I think that's a huge improvement over the last generation (just check the drop tests of the last generations) and for me it's a very good argument to buy the iPhone 5.

2. stevo505 macrumors member

Unless it happens to fall face down and shatters like mine already did.

3. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

I've just seen 2 videos.. I need to see more :/

4. nexsta thread starter macrumors 6502

can you give me some details like from which height?

5. lawlbringer macrumors regular

It's lighter, so it's only obvious that gravity will be less of a bitch when it falls.

The glass isn't any different though, and it will still shatter depending on the point of impact and the surface on which it falls. I threw my 4 across the room, on the floor by accident, and even on bare tile in a bathroom and it never shattered...the points of impact were all on the edges/corners though.

6. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

You threw your phone across the room.. by accident?

7. stevo505 macrumors member

About chest height where I would usually hold my iPhone. I don't know how likely it is to fall flat on the glass though. Mine smacked hard on the cement.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

If that's all it takes to sway your opinion, Apple can add one more easily influenced buyer to it's list.

9. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I do not understand your reasoning. Dropping your phone and it's resulting damage all depends on the laws of physics and how it lands and on what part of the phone makes it's "sudden stop".

The phone is thinner which does not give it additional strength. The gorilla glass is scratch resistant which means it is going to be brittle. If the 5 has one single advantage, it is that it is not as heavy. Being lighter can be an advantage when dropped.

We will all see soon as important as the iPhone 5 is to some people, they will still drop it.

10. alexnewtron macrumors newbie

alexnewtron

I've thrown my 3GS across the room once and the screen never shattered :p

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I love how my iphone 5 feels but more durable? I'm not sure, it scratches a lot easier it seems and while the back is no longer glass the front is us the same as the iPhone 4/iPhone 4s so I'm not sold its more durable

12. nexsta, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

nexsta thread starter macrumors 6502

I think being lighter than the previous ones is not the only advantage the iPhone 5 has of being more durable when it falls. The corners are definitely the weakest spot when it hits the ground. If you look at this picture you see that Apple made the corners more smooth and the glass front is more flat giving the impact force more face to spread and not hit this single weak glass corners.

[​IMG]

The iPhone 4 and 4s were maybe more scratch resistant due to their gorilla glass on the front and back, but I would rather have an iPhone that is more durable to falls than just being scratch resistant like the 4 and 4s. I think the fragileness of the past iPhones was a huge problem in the design. I had to replace my broken screen 2 times in 3 years and nearly everyone I know that have an iPhone had broken their glass. I also know many people that can't afford to replace their screen, so they are forced to use a scattered iPhone.

I'm quite a bit happy that Apple finally try to improve the durability.

13. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Always reassuring!

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

OP, you're tugging on Superman's cape with a post like that. You'd better hold your phone like it's your child after saying something like that. I learned my lesson after dropping my iPhone 4 with a silicone case on it that amounted to about the same protection you would figure from an object that could double as a cake pan. Cosmetically, looked fine. Internally, all messed up.

15. mburk macrumors newbie

How light the phone is, doesn't affect gravity. It will still fall at the same rate as anything else.

16. b47 macrumors newbie

But it does affect the force at impact.

17. nexsta thread starter macrumors 6502

18. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

This still won't stop me from putting on a case for my iPhone 5.

It's durable and I guess I can trust it falling without shattering the glass but knicks and scratches will always be there.

I hear a lot of people saying that since the iPhone is more durable they are going to go caseless.

I look forward to selling my iPhone for the next iPhone every year so keeping it in pristine condition or close to it is neccessary.

BUT I don't want to ruin the design and look of the phone so I always go with those snap on cases that keeps the shape of the iPhone.

Got one on ebay that fits exactly what I wanted.

http://bit.ly/VOwhHm

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It might be more durable in terms of drops, but the iPhone 4/4S is still the best wearing iPhone ever built. We have the exposed Apple logo on the 5 whereas it sits behind the glass on the 4/4S. As such, we can look forward to scratched up Apple logo just like on the original iPhone through 3GS.

20. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Whether that case actually helps or no is going to depend a lot on the durability of the finish. Some users are saying its rubbing off from use, not just scratches. If that's the case it's still going to occur in your case and may actually be worse since all the surfaces will be rubbing.

21. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I think the guy sums it all up on the final drop test of the S3 ... "The case, well it's cheap plastic so noone cares about it anyway"

22. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

It's a TPU or some type or rubber thin case. It's not a hard case so there won't be any scratches from the phone rubbing on the case.