Seems so far that the 17" mbp with the nvidia 8600m GT are the safest bet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Jul 4, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

From reading constantly and researching online, I've yet to see anyone complain about the 17" mbp either from last years model 2.4ghz or this years 2.5, 2.6ghz model all ranging from nvidia 8600m GT cards with 256mb vram to 512mb vram complaining about exchanging the logic board due to gpu failure or the mbp itself getting too hot and overheating issues.

So far the ones I've seen mainly complained about with huge threads are from the dell m1330 and m1530 machines are the nvidia 8400m GS machines with people having the motherboard exchanged 5 times already since 7 months and yet with the gpu still overheating thus needing another repair.

Alot of other pc magazine editors are pointing the finger to the 8400m GS cards as well but other than that, the only mbp complaints I've heard with the Nvidia 8600m gt cards freezing with weird colors are the 2.4ghz of last years mbp 15" models and mainly and mostly the 2.2ghz with the nvidia 8600M GT cards with the 128mb of vram that wont boot but will only recognize the x1300 integrated graphics card because of the nvidia gpu failing.

2. snahrl macrumors member

Thanks for your research.

I'll hold onto my 17" MBP that I just ordered and stop worrying about it...if it fails...it fails.

3. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

I imagine the ratio of 15in:17in that are bought has nothing to do with complaints hu?

NOT.

less people are complaining because less people are buying the 17".

This is just a guess but, id be willing to bet the 15" outsells the 17" by at least 6 to 1.

4. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

5. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Ok so that's 1 from last years model of the 17" mbp that I've heard so far now.

But then it could be just your 17" mbp with an isolated issue with just your gpu. I mean nothing is perfect but 1 out of hundreds of thousands of 17" mbp owners of last years and this years that had 1 gpu go out compared to dont know how many % of dell m1330 and m1530 owner's nvidia 8400m GS cards going out.

And I'm sure not all 17" mbp owners from last years model and early this year would start a thread about their gpu dying and probably already have gotten an exchange with apple quietly but judging from the post the % is very very low to almost non existent.

But on the other hand I've seen a fair amount on the 15" mbp 2.2ghz model with the gpu failing and some mentioning of the 2.4ghz pop up once in a while as well and judging by someone posting and the people who are kept silent are even higher.

And especially the dell m1330 and m1530, I've seen on notebook forums and even other forums that I never really visit are all talking about their motherboards being swapped 3-5 times already and imagine the % amount of the silent people who doesnt post online.

Also I wouldnt say that the 15" mbp outsells the 17" mbp 6 to 1 without any proof. For all we know that the 15" mbp outsells the 17" just by a hair margin.

If you look at apple's history you will see that the 15" mbp always has some sort of issues since the old powerbook g3 days with the 17" mbp almost never having any type of issues and is always kept quiet.

I remember the vertical band issues on the screens of the 15" powerbooks and then another generation later the white spot issues (this was the only one seen plagued both 15" and 17" as well though) and then the next iteration had the bottom RAM memory bank going out permanently, then the first generation mbp with the inverter issue (I actually sent it in to apple 3 times to get this or tried to get this fixed while I never heard any complaints on the 17" mbp side when it was released months later of the intel 17" mbp), and THEN it was the yellow tint issue on the bottom of the screen (believe me I've been through 12 15" mbp last year to tell you it still exists today).

While the 17" mbp never had this issue to begin with even with the led screen its pure white all around) and then now the vertical led light problem on the 15" (never seen it happen or read about it online on the 17" mbp) and now the 2.2ghz 15" mbp that alot of users had the logic board replaced multiple times as well. And not to mention I've been through 8 this year with the penryn 15" mbp due to the left speaker and magsafe making a buzz/sizzling/electric noise (yes they all had it even at 2 different apple stores out on demo as well) and the headphone jack making a loud hissing noise or popping noise (none of those problems are prevalent on my 17" mbp).

But now you say your 17" 2.4ghz model did the same thing so maybe it is within the defective % of the nvidia 8600m gpu (considering that the 8600m gt cards are not the defective one mentioned in the news lately and just a matter of coincidence) or with the 2.2ghz nvidia gpu all together because so far the count for that x1300 being recognized instead of the nvidia gpu is something around 60 that I remember(there was a website contributed just for this with people signing for the count) and probably some many silent people out there as well but its a tiny % if you ask me.

Sometimes and this is just my opinion that I think the 17" mbp is what apple really envisioned as a notebook because its big enough to cram all the right circuitry into for it to function properly especially the bigger heat sinks and heat to dissipate.

One other thing I've noticed is that the dell m1730 doesnt have much complaints either.

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I think the logic is flawed for the reasons posted by others. Buying the 17" Bendybook is not necessarily a proof against GPU failure. In fact, one could argue that since the NVidia GPU's possibly reaches the highest operating temps under mid-level loads in a Macbook Pro in comparison with other similarly equipped notebooks, if there was a very widespread 8600M issue it would be the most affected.

They haven't confirmed which GPU's are affected yet, have they?

I didn't have any problems with my 8400M-equipped M1330's bought in July, September and October of last year - at least, not with the GPU. Had a few issues with the keyboard and one problem with the screen and power each though which necessitated an (on-site, next day) motherboard replacement on two machines. Similarly no direct GPU-related issues with my Macbook Pros - although plenty of screen, structural integrity, power and other issues. My SZ's with the 8400M's have been fine so far, although I normally use them in the X3100 mode.

7. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

My 15" MBP w/ the 128mb 8600m GT runs nice and cool (comparatively speaking).

I've had it for about 8 months, and it still idles between 42-45 C (even on my lap as I type) w/ the fan at 3100 RPM (which is still quiet IMO).:D

And with the fan cranked all the way up and doing something intensive, it will get up to about 65 C.

8. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Duno why your calling the 17" mbp the "bendybook" mine doesnt bend in any way nor do I use it upside down.

Anyways I've been through all the mbp and the 17" by far the best (actually runs alot faster overall experience as well, I'm guessing due to the high clocked and a bigger logic board/ head sink).

But its just common sense that bigger heat sink= less heat stressed on the gpu.

And if you read the articles and quotes by nvidia they dont say its just the gpu but rather "Certain notebook configurations with GPUs and MCPs manufactured with a certain die/packaging material set are failing in the field at higher than normal rates."

9. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Not sure.... why you'd have owned all the MBPs thus far.. but okay.... and keep in mind, the only thing running faster in the 17" is the GPU.... everything else runs identically.

Right, although the GPU is run at higher clocks in the MBP. Of course, there's also the larger case to consider, which allows for better airflow, I suppose, and more area to disperse heat.

I'm about to get a 15" MBP, so this is somewhat troubling. I actually wish I could wait for the next refresh.... the thought of an 8600 GT and a 2.4 GHz processor doesn't thrill me (nor does paying a ridiculous premium for another completely worthless 100 or 200 MHz, which I'd never do)

10. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

The reason I've been through so many 15" mbp (12 last year due to yellow tint issue) and 8 penryn (this years model) 15" mbp 2.4-2.6ghz because all of them have this weird sizzling left speaker issue whenever the magsafe is connected but the 17" was perfect the 1st time buy.

I know the gpu can clock up higher but for some reason osx just runs alot more smoother overall.

I owned the mac pro desktop that's on my sig too so I know how buttery smooth osx runs and 17" was the closest to that and the 15" even at the 2.6ghz model felt clunky at times. I'm sure a bigger logic board has something to do as well.

I love the mbp lineup to death but because of this situation with nvidia cards being defective and an updated mbp just around the corner, I'd wait if I were you.