Seems there is still some sane Republicans trying to save the party from itself...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AhmedFaisal, Oct 17, 2012.

1. AhmedFaisal, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
  2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

He's gonna run for pres next time if Obama gets re-elected, right?

3. AhmedFaisal, Oct 17, 2012
  4. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

Are you from Jersey? Christie was born in Newark, raised in Livingston, and lives in Mendham. At least get your facts straight before insulting him.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

He's too obese. Nobody is going to elect a guy who needs an oxygen tank to walk up the stairs of Air Force One.

6. AhmedFaisal, Oct 17, 2012
  7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Well they can both try and run against each other in the primaries. But I think you're right: the gov is probably the fasting rising star the republicans have.

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

9. AhmedFaisal, Oct 17, 2012
  10. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

Dughi Hewit isn't a mobster law firm. Man you're biased! I'm definitely not a fan of Christie, but he is from the Sopranos. Where do you even get this stuff from? Delusions?

11. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I would guess he is planning to run whether Romney or Obama is elected.

12. AhmedFaisal, Oct 17, 2012
  13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Michael Bloomberg has been an independent since 2007.

Up until 2001 he was a democrat. From 2001-2007 he was a republican.

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Clinton was elected, and he was hardly wasting away....

15. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

16. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

he should run as an independent.

i think he would actually have a shot.
    he wouldcertainly take the entire lot of the moderate republicans who are fed up with the fundies/teaparty insanity, and would put a very significant dent on the dems as well, since they would run on evry similar platform but with a more business-oriented/moderate aura.
    i would consider him seriously as an independent, not so much from within the GOP.

even better would be if he funds an actual party (starting now), so he would have the chance to bring some people in congress/senate on board with him.
    if neither of the party would win a majority, they would hold a lot of sway.
    i think he could easily get a dozen senators and maybe 50-60 representatives

17. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

A strong gun control advocate has zero chance at winning the American presidency now or in the foreseeable future.

And that's a good thing.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

not how it works if he runs as a republican...He would only run in this scenario is Obama wins

20. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

it would likely prevent him to get the GOP nomination, which indeed is a good thing, but it would certainly not be a deciding factor in a general election.
    you are overestimating how many people care that much about the issue, and how they spread.
    those for whom this is a central issue are already on the fringes and typically coincide with the tea-party/fundies demographics, who would not part of bloomberg's (or someone like him) base

but there is a large fraction of current republicans who would be more than happy to jettison the gun, teabagger and religious nutcases and get behind a reasonable conservative.

If this election was between say Santorum, Bloomberg and Obama, i would think Bloomberg would have been the favourite if he started the campaign in time

----------

they respect him greatly across the board. it's undeniable he did a good job.

if he ran, especially as an independent, New york would be definitively in play, IMO.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How much of the city is Bloomberg or Giuliani's doing?

22. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

In the past, sitting presidents have often been challenged within their own party, particularly if they are perceived as being unpopular and likely not to be reelected.

If Romney is actually elected, massively cuts taxes and federal spending, and kills Medicare, there will be without doubt another recession while the economy adjusts to the new reality. Of course, you will never know what Romney actually would try to do, or what he and the Congress, would collectively achieve, unless we perform the experiment.

23. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i think he is much better than giuliani, and more popular

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Who cleaned up the city more. Giuliani made Times square family friendly and I believe got rid of the guns in the city. Bloomberg just continued most of what was put in place and tried to make the city "healthier".

25. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I'm kind of amazed that people believe there is any substantive difference between the two parties in this country.

Its like those watching political threads in social media in particular are professional wrestling fans. Enjoying the show and the entertainment, but pretending it matters who is up there. The theatre notwithstanding, do you really think anyone is going to end medical coverage for the aged?

The measures the parties disagree with from a platform basis may make for good sound bites, but that is about all.