Seems to be more 16GB iPhones out there?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphonefreak450, Apr 12, 2016.

1. iphonefreak450 macrumors regular

Ok, I went down to my local GSM shop to ask the guy to order from his distributor the new iPhone SE 64GB.
    It has been over a week now and all of a sudden he calls me up saying that they only have the 16GB phones in stock.

I don't know, but is it just me, or is Apple pushing out more 16GB phones more than the 64GB ones?
    And not just on the SE versions, but also when I wanted to get my 5s which was about 2 years ago, all they had was the 16GB only. And this was at ALL the GSM shops that I had gone to.

Seems to me that the 16GB editions are shipping out the most for some odd reason...

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Pushing out more? Dunno. The 64 GB seems more popular though. It could just be that most people are getting the 64 GB versions.

3. iphonefreak450 thread starter macrumors regular

That's including me :)
    I had this guy at the GSM shop call me once it is in.

At least Apple should make phones were at least 32GB minimum...Not 16. I mean come on, give me a break!

4. eyoungren, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You are thinking like a customer and not a business. Apple makes more by forcing you to choose 64gb over 16. And if you get a 16 you may choose to buy iCloud storage. Apple gets money either way.

Apple is a business. They sell what makes them the most money. The 16gb makes Apple the most money because they sell a lot of them to people who want an iPhone but who cannot or will not pay the extra for a higher capacity model.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps there's more demand for the 16 GB model as it's the cheapest one, and generally the cheapest one will be what more people will go for?

6. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

I couldn't get the 64gb 6S+ for about a month after the phones came out... They had plenty of 16gb though. I am guessing 64Gb versions are sold out quickly while nobody wants the 16gb version

7. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

There are more 16gb phones "out there" (meaning the 10 block radius around your flat?) because no one is buying them. Mystery solved. Back of the net!

8. Shanghaichica, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016

Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

The 16GB model is the most popular because it's the cheapest. Take the 6S for example at launch the 16GB was the most abundant followed by the 64GB and then the 128GB. Apple ship more of the 16GB because it's their biggest selling configuration.

9. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Apple simply makes more of the 16gb versions.

10. nfl46 macrumors 603

Most people go with the cheapest option. I'm willing to bet the 16GB is the most popular storage for the 6S/Plus as well.

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I think Cook and the boys used traditional flagship model sales stats for production of the SE's and ended up underestimating the demand for the "step up" model of the device with the lower price point.

12. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

You can't take the experience of one person, in one place in the world, at one particular retailer, and draw conclusions about the worldwide state of anything. But we can certainly bend that scrap of information to whatever our personal narrative may be.

In my experience, when a product sells well, stores do their best to have it in stock. When a good-selling item is out of stock, the store staff knows exactly why they're out of stock, and how soon they hope to have more stock. When a product does not sell as well, there's far less knowledge, and a whole lot more "I have to look into it."

I seriously doubt that dropping the price of the entry-level iPhone by $50 US radically changed the ratio between the sales of 16GB and 64GB iPhones - people who want the cheapest phone generally don't spend an extra 25% for the sake of more storage.

There's a chart in this Fortune.com article that shows Morgan Stanley's estimate of sales of each of the various iPhone models available in September 2014 (I couldn't find something more recent). At the time, 6/6 Plus was the top-tier iPhone, 5s was the mid-tier, and 5c was the bottom tier (same position SE is in now). 10% of all iPhone sales went to the 5c (which was only available in 8GB). Moving up to the mid-tier 5s, it, too, pulled in 10% of all sales, with 70% of 5s sales going to the 16GB, while 30% of 5s sales were of the 32GB (in other words, the 32GB 5s was responsible for 3% of all iPhone sales). That means that 85% of the mid- and bottom-tier iPhones were sold in the minimum configuration. In the case of the 6/6 Plus, 55% bought additional storage.

Now, the management at GSM Shop undoubtedly knows exactly how many units of each iPhone model they've sold since they began selling iPhones. Apple announces a new model, and GSM Shop will place its orders accordingly. That does not necessarily tell us how many Apple manufactured - it only tells us how many GSM Shop thought it could sell. And knowing that people who buy the cheapest model generally don't care about more storage, is it at all plausible to think the salesman was trying to maneuver the OP into spending $250 more in order to have it?

13. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

I'm in the United States. So my opinion may be skewed. But if I wanted a 64 GB model I would just wait a month.

You said your "local GSM shop" can't order one. Can you order one directly from Apple? Again this my not be possible in your country. I just don't know.

14. drewaz macrumors regular

Costco.com has a good supply of 64GB SEs ... all colors ... AT&T, Verizon and Sprint. I don't think they sell SIM free phones though. I ordered a 64GB silver SE (AT&T) on Wednesday and it was delivered Friday morning. They seem to resupply often too.