Sega Saturn - anyone love this system?

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Its the 5th gen gem that got overlooked by PSX just like Dreamcast did with PS2

Sega of America also got screwed on this one, releasing 32x the same year the Saturn came out in Japan, leaving them in the dark and consumers pissed and confused about their support for platforms

So many lovely arcade ports though, and a system that was truly ahead of its time (like Dreamcast imo)

Last edited:
Reactions: lantree

EmlynDewar

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Chengdu, China
I really like the Saturn. Always want to buy one but I know it would just be a dust gatherer, and finding games out here would be difficult.
6 player bomberman on it was great.

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
The dpad
On the version 2 controller is the best dpad I have ever used. Holy crap

lantree

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2010
I remember getting mine on launch day in the UK with virtual fighter,
totally drained my bank account and I can still remember my mum going crazy at me even now.
To my defence I was only in my early 20s.

Later on I added virtual cop and SEGA rally to the collection.
This machine gave me many hours of fun.

compwiz1202

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
Loved SEGA. Had them all except Dreamcast. Never understood why they would always disappear for a while and then suddenly another system would appear.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I've had a MegaDrive, MegaDrive II, Saturn, Dreamcast, ... Absolutely loved each one of those. Superior hardware each generation, but the other platforms had more, cooler games and had a commercial division that knew had to sell stuff.

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Oh yeah Sega died for a reason, for its commercial failings

but I think it will always have a strong cult following for that reason

The games themselves were amazing and unique in a way no other major gaming console company has matched

Nintendo keeps trying weird things, but its still in a weird way Nintendo and I don't think they've been all that experimental recently, since the dual screen DS's and Wiimote.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Nintendo is in the "remaster/remake" business when it comes to games. Or so it feels. Every console gets the same games, but better graphics and support for whatever whacky hardware thing they came up with this time.

Suture

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
There were a lot of great games on the Saturn. The game I logged the most hours in on the Saturn was Virtua Fighter 2. I have a group of friends that were really into it, and we played the hell out of that. Runner up was probably Puzzle Fighter II Turbo.

Sensamic

macrumors 68030
Mar 26, 2010
I've still got mine! Loved the system, but was a waste of money considering how it failed versus PlayStation.

Loved the game Nights (or Knights). Remember that one a lot.

I wish Sega would still make consoles. I also remember wanting the Dreamcast so so much. Never got it. Again, time shows it was a good decision not to buy it, but still a shame. Was a really cool machine.

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Loved the game Nights (or Knights). Remember that one a lot.
'Did you know that Shigeru Miyamoto, the heart and soul of Nintendo once saod if there was one Video game character he wished he had a hand in making, He wishes it was NiGHTS.'

Copied and pasted from NiGHTS FB page, and heard about that myself... quite the compliment!

Reactions: Sensamic

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I loved all of my Sega consoles; from the Master System through the Dreamcast. It's too bad Sega as a company couldn't figure things out and failed. Either the Genesis or the Dreamcast were my favorite though.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
"Sega does what Ninten-don't"

I think that boils down to what made them fail. They went for quantity over quality.

I had both the Saturn and DreamCast. Obviously Sony blew it all away in the end. I used my DreamCast as a WebTV (it had a 56K modem) for awhile after it was declared 'dead' for new games. There was an active emulation site years ago called DCemulation but it's long gone today. They had ported a lot of 32x and even Linux to the Dreamcast.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I still have a Dreamcast, it's pretty mint, two controllers with VMUs, the keyboard (@nickdalzell1 , yeah I surfed with it a few times :D), a few games, including the legendary Seaman , "You're doing a good job!" o_O