Segregated for Diversity.

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Just when you think things can't get crazier at our colleges, the University of Michigan held a racially segregated diversity forum.

I think it's crazy to segregate the people by races when attempting to discuss diversity. Do you agree with me or do you think the school was correct ?

Reactions: jdillings

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
“I think for white students who feel somehow (upset) by us having a first town hall for students and staff of color, I’d say look at yourself, think about your place and your people’s histories,” Razdar said. “You can seek out white spaces, and those can be productive, as long as you think about how you can leverage your privilege that you’ve been raised with.”
This person could probably use a few more "diversity" meetings. They only seem to know how to speak AT white people.

Praxis91

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
It's okay. It's not like I am ever going to hire these entitled diversity warriors to fill some ******** quota.

Reactions: stroked

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
After seeing the article it states languages like Spanish, French and German aren't as culturally relevant as Swahili... w..t...f

And we wonder why tech companies have problems filling quotas, the "diverse" students are learning stupid **** like Swahili on a US campus.

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
maybe it is so they don't hurt white peoples feelings?
You could be onto something. That could be why blacks were not allowed in some universities at one time. Maybe the white people didn't want to hurt the black peoples feelings.

Reactions: cfedu

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Just when you think things can't get crazier at our colleges, the University of Michigan held a racially segregated diversity forum. ...
Here's a really crazy question ... I don't know why I even ask it ...

But did you look into the reasons behind the segregated forums?

Is is even remotely possible that there some underlying lesson or exercise behind it?

Reactions: LizKat

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
Here's a really crazy question ... I don't know why I even ask it ...

But did you look into the reasons behind the segregated forums?

Is is even remotely possible that there some underlying lesson or exercise behind it?
From the article itself:

Because it was geared “to create an open dialogue geared specifically to all people of color involved in the program,” a reporter fromThe Michigan Daily was asked to leave the forum for non-white students.

The reporter was permitted to attend the other event.

Senior Admissions and Recruitment Coordinator Logan Corey defended the racial separation, saying it was “to ensure that students and faculty of color felt safe raising concerns and sitting in solidarity with other people of color, given the current climate on campus.”

Director of Residential College Jonathan Wells added that the separate events were appropriate because it gave “people of color a space to talk without feeling ‘watched.’”

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
Diversity means non-white.
Whenever someone says people of colour, you know they are a racist. It's a racist term used by people who hate fair skinned Caucasians.
[doublepost=1476965474][/doublepost]
Ah. So it's about safe spaces. Okay. I'm not a big fan.

I personally wouldn't begrudge them their safe space for a limited time, so long as they participated and engaged in the rest of the session.

There is a big safe space on the continent of Africa, it is really safe because they are very few white people there. Who cares about FGM, honour killings, child soldiers, mass child murder, rape and abduction. The real problem I'd that people don't feel safe with the white devil around.

They want it to be so safe that even science must fall as it is racist.
http://dailycaller.com/2016/10/14/uct-students-say-science-is-racist-discuss-african-black-magic-video/

When a student questioned the African theory of electricity(people can use black magic to strike people with lightning) he was made to apologize.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
There is a big safe space on the continent of Africa, it is really safe because they are very few white people there. Who cares about FGM, honour killings, child soldiers, mass child murder, rape and abduction. The real problem I'd that people don't feel safe with the white devil around. ...
I think I need a safe space from that post.

Yikes.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
I think I need a safe space from that post.

Yikes.
I agree, facts are very disturbing. Throwing out 500 years of the use of the scientific method because white people applied it is very triggering. The nerve of Issac Newton for inventing gravity, did he ask everyone if they also wanted gravity? Just another white dude oppressing people of colour.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
Fixing a perceived racial divide by dividing races, makes total sense. People want to make things better, everyone put on their big boy pants, thicken your skin, don't live on the edge of your seat ready to scream you're offended, save calling anyone a racist as your only defense, talk.

Reactions: cfedu and ucfgrad93

diamond.g

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2007
Virginia
Sad article. Though reading anything about race on this forum kind of exposes why things like this still exists.