Segregated Proms in the South

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mkrishnan, May 24, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I feel really insulated that I even lived in the South for four years and never heard about this still going on:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24prom-t.html?pagewanted=all

That's pretty sad.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sadly no, but it's disgusting none the less.

4. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

A little bit, yes... I had never heard of such a thing while I lived in the South. It does seem to be an isolated practice in one (or a few) small counties. It hasn't been in the news much. It doesn't happen in the parts of the South I spent time in.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I hate how they do not make it clear it is only in the very small schools and cities this happens and it is few and far between. It also would only be in the area of the deep south. Nice thing about that deep south part is it does leave Texas off the list.

It makes me sick it still happens but at the same time I do not like how they are implying it is most of the south.

6. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Indeed. I never heard of such a thing growing up. To say it happens "in towns across the rural South" is misleading. It's more like finding a stone age Amazon tribe than something that happens regularly.

Having things like segregated proms is essentially how you wind up getting regarded as ignorant hicks even within the South.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Why wouldn't you be?

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well the South had racist tendencies longer then the North(general), so one would expect it in the South, if it were to happen(also note how much of the problem is the parents, older generation, so its quite possible this this type of event will end up disappearing as people age.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It more needs to be clarified that the racist tendencies of the areas consider the Deep south tend to be that way. That clarification is needed just because some states get unfairly put into the south when people think that way.

I am partly saying this in defense of Texas because Texas is not a deep south state. Go over to the east coast and you start finding the deep south states.

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I've read a newspaper article or two, over the last few years; the AJC, IIRC. As near as I can tell, it's a mutually-agreed-upon deal. Different types of dance music, among other things. Different styles of dress-up and bling. I guess it makes it easier for all concerned...

'Rat

11. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I guess it's easier for you to believe that.

12. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

:D:D:D:D
    i am sure it's all about the dress code.

13. war eagle macrumors 6502a

14. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Actually it's not that all far-fetched. In a parallel vein, every few years at my alma mater, the idea of integrating the fraternities and sororities comes back up. Not trying to broadbrush here, but every time the issue arises, the black organizations are just as adamant about not integrating as the white organizations.

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Regardless, this isn't always the best way to go about ending racism. Racism stems from ignorance, so the more people stay separate, the more likely ignorance is.

Not to mention this article makes it quite clear this was a push by the parents for a separate prom.(while students supported a integrated prom) And their children feel they need to hide interracial relationships. Something isn't right with that picture.

16. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Maybe next year they need to one big event Footloose-style.

I wonder if the article's author and editor appreciate the irony of an image in this particular story of several black kids hanging out at a KFC.

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Historically, Texas has not been the friendliest of states towards the movement for equal rights of blacks.

But if its true(which I think we need hard numbers to say if thats true) that Texas has progressed faster then other states, then Texas gets points in my book!

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I have lived in Texas my entire life and I have been to some of the deep south states. Hell I been to hick villi Texas before and they are no where near as bad as the true deep south states.

We the local people in there 40-50's refer to part of town with crime as Blackie part. "Or even though he is a blackie he is alright" This are the things I heard multiple times in deep south across multiple areas but never heard even in this state of Texas.

Nor any where in the state have I felt things where segregated but in some of the deep south states even in the bigger cities it felt that way. Not in the state Texas. that is just how it needs to be clarified.
    Texas has its problem but it is nothing compared to the deep south.

19. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Apples and oranges.

I'm a member of a historically black sorority, and did a lot of research before I decided whether to join 1) a sorority at all, and 2) a traditionally white or historically black sorority. I would have been welcome in either, but I liked the fact that black greek letter organizations focus more on community service and emphasize continuing the commitment to the organization for life. College is only for four years, so that meant that, as much fun as it would be to party, it was better for me make a lifelong commitment to an organization in whose service I can continue for decades. I made the right decision for me.

And BTW, I don't know where you went to school, but all national BGLOs have had non-black members for years and years, and vice versa. ;)

20. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Ntombi, I have no doubt that in some areas white racism is the reason for separate proms. My problem is that the article would have it believed that it's the only reason, and that doesn't fit what I've seen reported in the AJC.

(At the rate Altanta is going, there could likely be a third group for proms, with bands focussed on Salsa music. :) )

I've spent a lot of the last twenty years in my wife's home town of Thomasville, GA. That's for sure "Deep South". As near as I can tell, most of any problems stem from economic divisions, far more than racial. Pretty much friendliness all around town. Austin, TX, isn't much different, really. As near as I can tell, socialization depends more on mutual interests among individuals than anything else.

'Rat

21. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

My school had two senior proms as well, one officiall sponsored by the school which mainly was attended by black and hispanic students and a few white students, and a second that was mostly white and put on by a second group of students, with no support from the school.

The reason: Differing tastes in music. The student council (which was mostly black) flat out refused to have anything but rap played at the official prom because they felt that any other type of music didn't "fit" the student population. A good number of students passed on attending the official prom.

Neither was segregated by policy, however it just sort of worked out like that.