Self-defense planning for women: What are the options?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Nov 6, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.abc10.com/story/life/2015/11/06/self-defense-planning-options-choices-for-women/75260068/
    glad more women are learning how to properly defend themselves.

2. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

G43 and P938 are both excellent styles for women to study. Short of being attacked by an ISIS brigade, my woman can TCB with either style.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I want to get the G43 for my daughter, sadly at 16 she still has a long way before she can carry.

I am taking her back to Kajukenbo, maybe try out Krav Maga.

4. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Krav Maga is pretty useful in real life situations. I've studied it off and on for a few years.

I had a P99QA for a while, it was a little tricky (short pull), got rid of it and got a Steyr M9, had it for a while, but then sold it to my uncle so my aunt would have a nice target shooter.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

6. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Martial arts are almost always useless against an armed attacker. I see a lot of ladies at my range. They are pretty good!

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

indeed, but it takes a while to get proficient, glad the video shows plenty of alternatives.

8. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Great as a means of staying in shape...

But some of us are very busy. I can't imagine how I'd ever fit that into my schedule, nowadays?

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

yeah, I quit going when my schedule got in the way

[​IMG]

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

One thing to consider, especially for young women is that their attacker will likely be an intimate— a friend, boyfriend or family friend—who will be far inside the protective sphere that makes a gun useful. (Not to mention, what do you do if the gun isn't available or fails? You fight.)

Each fighting style has its benefits and drawbacks, but nearly all martial arts training develops a self-awareness and self-esteem that can help women defend themselves against a physical attack.

A friend of mine was assaulted in a computer lab by another student, but she knew a martial art and fought back, breaking two of his teeth and dislocating his arm before she bolted and called police.

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

video/link touches up on that as well as the fact that inside 21 ft the attacker is pretty much on you and you will not have time to draw any weapon unless it's already on your hand, that is one advantage of pepper spray, you can openly carry it in your hand ready to go, the female instructor also touches up on what happens when you actually draw a gun on a person .

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Considering that Fiona was repeatedly kidnapped despite being a gun-toting explosives expert, I'm not sure this photo from Burn Notice is actually making the point you want it to.

13. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Who is Fiona? Shrecks?

The gun above is not a Glock BTW

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Self-defense tips for women:

Get a good divorce attorney. Leave any partner who is violent. Don't allow yourself to become intoxicated around people you don't trust implicitly. Lock your car and apartment doors.

Taking self-defense advice from firearms instructors is somewhat akin to taking financial advice from blackjack dealers.

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I was just about to comment that myself.

16. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Back in the day when ladies wore fancy hats, plunging a hatpin into an attacker's eye would always get his attention.

17. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Just as a reminder, when I was sexually assaulted, there was a P99 in my purse. Didn't really help when my rapist bounced my face off the roof of my car and then smashed my head into the ground.

Still glad he didn't rifle through my purse after he was done with me.

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Sexual assault is one specific type of violence, but that cliche isn't likely to cover the majority of cases. It would potentially work with a stranger approaching the victim, but most cases don't seem to work that way.

The article actually mentions something about it too.

19. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

That is one thing our instructor touched up with the ladies. A purse means it's not on you and harder to get at c surprised. The only plus was that you could have your hand on it and keep it concealed if you knew danger was on its way . Sorry for what happened to you. I can't imagine the horror of living through that

20. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Sadly, I was a statistic all around. I knew my attacker, I had the police actively try to get me to not prosecute, had a judge try to shift the blame on me.

Fortunately, I had a lot of support among family and friends. I'd like to think I've come out stronger.

21. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That's terrible. I'm confused though (assuming it's okay to ask this), why did they do that? I mean did the police think they lacked a case or something?

22. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I got the "but you'll ruin this young man's life" spiel. He was 22 at the time (I was approaching 30), the local police also tried to blame me because I "provoked it" by being friendly with him (he was a coworker and attacked me in the parking lot). They even told me it was my fault because I rejected him when he asked me out the week before.

23. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

That seen was when Ford was sick and told Steven Spielberg that in movie sceen was written to have a big fight and what if since Indy had a 45 on his hip just shoot him! Steven thought that was great idea for comic relief!