Self driving cars an issue to society?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, May 25, 2016.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

2. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I'd be happy if people end up falling asleep while their cars drive them around. It beats them falling asleep at the wheel and causing wrecks.

3. SusanK macrumors 68000

If we eventually have autonomous cars it may not be an issue. Vehicles now have the assist with some driving functions but require the driver to be awake and alert. An autonomous vehicle will made life much better for people who no longer drive if it's legal for them to use one. Losing the keys must be a very bad day in a person's life.

I enjoy driving. Interacting with the car is fun. I don't care for things that take that away. I enjoy vintage cars because we drive them. Eventually if age and health issues change that I hope I can still get from one place to another independently.

4. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I have heard that there will be a lot of people having sex while the car is driving and that distraction could be hazardous to others.

5. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

In my perfect world, there will not be fully self-driving cars. People will still take licenses, and get to drive in whichever way they want. However, the car's computer should still be advanced enough to prevent accidents in case of the driver falls asleep or something. Of course, a self-driving feature could be implemented, but it has to be tested very well in order to work without accidents.

6. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Well drivers fail quite often and have tons of accidents so I doubt it would run red lights and break other laws. I doubt I would have to shine my led flashlight in its eyes to keep from getting run over crossing the street after standing there 5 minutes shining the light towards the waiting driver.

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Self-driving cars are inevitable. In fact, when they become widely available insurance rates for non-autonomous cars will become so usurious that driving yourself will become a luxury for the wealthy.

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Well, it is the Daily Mail.

But, yes, self-driving cars are the future. What I don't hear about, though, is a push for software/system safety that I should be hearing.

http://www.amazon.com/Safeware-Computers-Nancy-G-Leveson/dp/0201119722/

http://www.amazon.com/Engineering-Safer-World-Systems-Thinking/dp/0262016621/

http://www.amazon.com/Developing-Safety-Critical-Software-Practical-Compliance/dp/143981368X

9. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

I am going to have so much fun when self driving cars are out. Cutting off a self driving car so it emergency brakes can't be road rage right? How can you rage against a vehicle? Man the liability suits are going to go through the roof. Cut off a driverless car, it emergency brakes and the distracted driver texting behind it rear ends it. Going to be fun.

Not to mention a freeze or reboot while moving. How many of you have never had to reboot your phone, computer when it locked up? But the computers in cars won't have that problem. Right

Hell you won't need to cut the driverless car off, just chuck an aluminum foil covered basketball in front of it and watch it screech to a halt.

10. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

I will never own an electric car, or a hybrid, or a self-driving car. Self-driving cars will FLOP.

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Conservative in the most literal sense, huh? Even when it's a detriment to you.

Electric cars have the potential to be far more powerful and efficient than even the best oldschool combustion engines out there. But hell no. That ain't for you! That's namby pamby San Francisco crap! I'll pay my $3.50 a gallon for EXPLODE JUICE and LOVE IT!

12. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Most people don't know that electric efficiency much higher than internal combustion. And that electric drive has full 100% torque right from zero rpm. No spool up necessary. Or that first cars were electric and only battery limitations allowed IC engines to take over.

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Electric cars + greenhouse-free nuclear power = utopia.

14. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Need to get going on thorium molten salt reactors. The old pressure vessel hot water reactors using uranium are so obsolete and unsafe. Thorium reactors can not melt down nor are they pressurized. Only reason we went with uranium reactors was they produced fissionable plutonium for bombs. Thorium reactors can actually consume, transmute the spent fuel we have accumulated from the hot water reactors.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Exactly. If you want a car you can show off on the road, the only downside to electric is that it's not as loud as an internal combustion engine. You don't have that well tuned roar, just a quiet, almost jetlike spin. But a well tuned electric engine built for performance, it'll easily match, and likely outpace any consumer muscle car out today.

I read that a tuned up Tesla Model S with the 300kW engine can go from 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. Only the McLaren P1 can beat that. When you're considering that we're comparing Tesla's high end rev of their consumer model vs. a $1 million dollar car, that's impressive.

16. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

It's all about the physics of it. Not really impressive, just correct. Electric motors have it all over internal combustion. Can always add speakers for the noise level. Me I like the stealth of silence.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I don't know if it'd be a utopia, but it'd make for some incredibly cheap transportation.

18. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Far from utopia, but certainly an improvement over status quo.

19. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Nuclear Power? Fukushima is not utopian at the moment (or for the next few millennia if nothing is done). Nuclear energy (as we have it now) is only good short term, and some countries are already moving away from it after mastering it.

Try renewable energy combined with improved electric efficiency across the board.

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Yup. The only detriment to going fully electric is that it currently can't match the combustion engine on time efficiency when going long distance. This doesn't have anything to do with the engine, rather the amount of time it takes to charge the battery. I believe the Tesla, hooked to a 240 Volt line, takes around 11 hours to charge to allow for its max 250 mile range. That's considerably more time consuming when contrasted against the the 3 minutes it takes to fill up your car at the pump.

Tesla does have a nice stop-gap measure in place with their proposed battery-swap stations. Though it'll take a lot of electric cars on the road before we can justify making them almost as common as gas stations.

While the engines are far superior, we'll need to see some more advances in battery technology before anyone can say it's truly ready to replace gas powered cars across the board.

As for the noise, I wouldn't even add the speakers. Let its deeds speak quietly for it.
    --- Post Merged, May 26, 2016 ---
    Like HEK said above, that's why we should put more emphasis on MSRs. They address a good 99% of all the pitfalls we risk with current nuclear technology.

I'm all for renewable energy. But even assuming we were to make great strides in electric efficiency over the next decade, renewable energy alone still wouldn't be enough to cover all our energy needs. All grids will have to have a nuclear (and in the future, fusion) reactor connected to it somewhere at some point.

21. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

"During February 2016, an equivalent to 95% of electricity consumed in Portugal was produced by renewable sources such as biomass, hydropower, wind power and solar power. A total of 4139 GWh was produced by these sources.[5]In May 2016, all of Portugal's energy was produced renewably for a period of over four days, a landmark achievement for a modern European country."

This is not the most demanding month in terms of energy, and electrifying transportation and other industries would change that percentage a lot, but still, it can be done (with an enormous shift in investment).

22. HEK, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Renewable is good but not end all. Those massive wind farms are unsightly and do cause a lot of migratory bird deaths. Further they work in certain regions better than others as does solar.

Nuclear, the right kind, is long term. Fukushima is a high pressure hot water unranium reactor. Those can not fail safe. The uranium pellets in fuel rods must be cooled with water. Or they melt down. Also hydrogen gas is produced when the water separates and that is what cause sees the pressure vessel to explode.

Thorium molten salt reactors are fail safe, the molten salt cools down and reaction stops. No cooling water needed. They can consume the radioactive waste past reactors have produced. They can be built in smaller sizes and on a industrial rather than architectural methods. Thorium is much more abundant than uranium and thorium reaction does not produce fissionable fuel for weapons.

China, India and others are working hard to perfect these types of reactors. We had a program in 70s that was shelved by Nixon. They went with fast plutonium breeder. Make more bomb fuel.

Don't dump all nuclear reaction power production into one type. Reasearch and see that their are viable efficient, clean and safe alternatives. It just takes some political will.

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

The thing is, switching from gas to electricity for our transportation needs won't merely be a big upswing, it'll be a massive hit. On a random uneducated guess, I'd say it could easily equate to half the average output of a nuclear power plant in densely populated areas.

Green energy just doesn't have the capability of handling that strain by itself.

24. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I think sex in cars will have gone the way of the Mastodon when auto-drive cars are the norm. Imagine how limber and diminutive you'd have to be to couple in a SmartCar/

[​IMG]

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Don't knock SmartCars. They're the ultimate go-karts.