Self-Promotion & initiative pay off in this job market

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mscriv, Sep 22, 2009.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Stories like this remind me that it takes initiative to make things happen. "When the going gets tough, the tough get going..."

He landed a job offer within hours. Full story here.

2. star-fish macrumors regular

Eh, he got offered a recruitment job. They are ten a penny. Low pay, commission-based in a recession - I wouldn't do it. Too many angry people and having to manipulate companies and create fake job listings.

£20,000 debt from a history degree at Kent is pretty terrible as well!! I graduated with £12k debt just as the recession was beginning in summer 2008. Since then I've had two jobs (still in the second, didn't like the first for various reasons), fought to get them and not great pay but better than nothing. And great experience-wise for what I want to do.

Got lots of friends who still haven't got jobs, and it's because of any/all the following a) they don't apply for many jobs b) they don't have any work experience c) they don't have charisma or interview skills.

Gone are the days when you can just leave uni and expect to have a job. If you have no relevant work experience, you've got only a tiny, tiny chance.

3. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

It seems like you don't realise it, but your attitude is similar to that of many unemployed people. :p It's the reason why people don't apply for many jobs.

Fair play to him. Also, we can't judge him on his level of debt; we know nothing of his personal circumstances.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yeah any job is better than no job.

Well maybe not any job, but this one isn't the worst I can think of.

5. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I've noticed a similar attitude on another forum I visit that has a "Work & Employment" subforum. Almost every day a new thread is posted with somebody whining and moaning about how they applied for some jobs online, faxed a few resumes, and are giving up because nobody will hire them and it's horrible and sad and they can't take it anymore. They admit to only applying for a few jobs online that are very close to the one they just lost, and have made no attempt at applying in person, or looking for jobs other than what they just came from, yet cannot understand why they haven't found a job right away. It's really hard to be sympathetic to a person like that.