Selfie in front of running train costs three college-goers their life

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by luvmymbpr, Jan 27, 2015.

1. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ege-goers-their-life/articleshow/46025185.cms

How dumb can people be? I heard, recently, that someone did this here in the states. It was some fitness guy trying to make a fitness video on the tracks when he was run over and killed. Such stupidity.

2. dec. Suspended

dec.

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Fifteen thousand people are killed each year in accidents on India's train system. Six thousand of them alone on Mumbai's overcrowded suburban tracks (Mind the gap? Good luck finding one...)

Fifteen thousand people being killed crossing tracks, or falling off of overcrowded rail cars, or stupidly taking selfies is a tragedy. But then you look at the fact that twenty thousand Americans are killed every year because of our national obsession with playing with guns?

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

4. luvmymbpr thread starter macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Playing with guns? You mean suicides? Wow... how insulting to label suicides as "playing with guns."

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yes. People do stupid things and often suffer horrific consequences.

But what's the discussion here?

Where does the thread go once we acknowledge that point?

6. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Still trying to figure out how to link this to the 117 broken promises of Obama.

7. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

did you mean an obsession with RIGHTS?. don't like them? don't practice them.

----------

why? where was Obama mentioned?

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Just because you're college going doesn't mean you're college material.

Natural selection at its finest.

9. luvmymbpr thread starter macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

7 replies and already 2 of them are attempts to derail the thread. Lovely! (not you btw)

----------

Yeah quite sad and quite stupid. Humans have always been stupid, but I swear social media is like fuel to that fire. So many idiots kill themselves trying to do stupid stuff like this; all for the sake of videos or pictures.

10. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Nope but Duck and iosmaxosx always find a way to blame it on him.

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It's because of Obama that we have all these people showing up to blame Obama about everything. :mad:

12. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

but neither one of them are here yet.

13. luvmymbpr thread starter macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Why are you derailing a thread and mocking other people for something they haven't even done yet?

14. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

That sadly is a true fact.

15. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Well played sir. Your wit gave me a good cuckle. :D

16. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

I just broke my neck on that segue. :eek:

17. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

18. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Ahh, not realy a fair comparison, but let's try.

How many of those 'idiots playing with guns' were accidental suicides and what were the ages?

Now, how many 'idiots play chicken with a train' were accidents and what were the ages?

Age plays a huge role, barring mental retardation. So, unless you have the numbers for both, then this is an ignorant comparison. .. at best.

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Come now, this is PRSI. One's neck muscles get used to it after awhile, no? :p

This thread is doomed, trust me. Once we got to this question
    and then this quite reasonable answer
    then really there's no obvious direction for further argument in PRSI. But of course when there's no place to go in PRSI, threads either get derailed (which can sometimes be interesting and worth reading) or else they get locked and maybe even wastelanded if the thing really goes off the deep end. Next time maybe try putting a news link like the one in the original post into Current Events and without a comment that invites PRSI-type debate... unless of course you wanted more or less what you now have.

On topic: I'm sorry the youngsters got killed. Even the best and brightest of kids will do the damnedest things sometimes. It must be so hard to be a parent and have to realize that poor judgment can be such a terrible killer of the potential greatness in our offspring.

20. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I don't know.

But I'm pretty sure a lot more than three stupid Americans kill themselves playing with guns every year.

I wonder if people in India are sitting around passing smug judgement on them?

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think the Indians need to fence their railways.

22. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

23. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Possibly as much as we discuss it here, in our own country.

One thing you learn when you travel is that people in other countries often refer to 'American stupidity' as it were a disease and we are all infected; and we, as Americans, accept this and expect it.

On the contrary, when people in this country make fun of another nationality, you are looked down upon for your ignorance and misunderstanding of cultures(in most places).

In any case, why do you feel it is necessary to compare nationalities' idiocy? There are idiots everywhere. Welcome to planet earth: where stupid things are done by stupid people in every country, every day.

24. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

If the suicides kill themselves in really creative ways like those fools did taking selfies, I'm sure anybody would find that entertaining to read about.