Selfie in front of running train costs three college-goers their life

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by luvmymbpr, Jan 27, 2015.

1. steve knight macrumors 68030

steve knight

2. luvmymbpr thread starter macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

There's no such thing as an accidental suicide. He was referencing the 20,000 people that commit suicide and called it playing with guns.

3. sim667 macrumors 65816

That guy has been whinging all over the shop about being kicked in the head...... In all honesty it probably saved his life.

----------

How do you know?

4. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Decades ago in Virginia, a group of graduating high school students, drunk, thought it would be cool to lay down between the tracks and let a train run over but presumably miss them.... Darwin Award... ;)

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Suicide has a legal and societal meaning of intentionally taking one's own life.

Roughly 600 Americans are killed every year through accidents involving guns. Some of them are cases when the person handling the weapon kills themselves, and some of them when it discharges and strikes someone else.

Last year Americans were horrified to learn that a young child was accidentally killed firing an Uzi machine pistol at a Nevada gun range.

The point I was trying to make is that I think we in the USA would not look kindly upon a bunch people in India sitting around making jokes about how dumb Americans are for letting a child play with a military-grade weapon.

The one thing I feel pretty confident is this: Sometime in the future India will address the problem of thousands of its citizens being killed in accidents on its railways. It will build fences and walls and bridges. Its people will start to earn enough that they don't have to ride on top of carriages. Its police forces will enforce rules against that sort of behavior.

On the other hand, I see virtually no chance whatsoever of the United States making any progress at all in reducing the number of our citizens killed by guns. Even technological fixes (ie. "smart" guns that prevent anyone but the owner from firing a weapon) are vociferously fought by the NRA and its stooges. Not laws that would mandate all guns from having "smart" features - the very act of even making them available for purchase is fought by the gun lobby.

6. luvmymbpr thread starter macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

I see no problem with India mocking Americans who have accidents with guns. I mock those people. It's carelessness pure and simple. Parents that allow their children access to firearms aren't fit to be parents.

With that said, 600 people accidentally killed every year is extremely low. No thanks on the smart guns. Plenty of us are smart enough around firearms, and I really don't want a gun failing when my life depends on it because of a dead battery or being unable to find the watch. I really don't want to spend twice the money for a gun either.

You also can't count on a smart gun being effective. If careless parents allow their kids access to firearms, they'll certainly allow access to both the gun and safety device. It also doesn't address self inflicted injuries.

A smart gun is any gun used by a cautious and competent person.

7. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

8. luvmymbpr thread starter macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

India is crazy. They have areas where it's a common occurrence to see corpses in the street or floating in the river.

9. Mr Kram macrumors 68020

Mr Kram

10. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Umm. Like after Katrina... and don't say it's not common. The first time it's uncommon.

11. luvmymbpr thread starter macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

You can't really compare the fallout of a major natural disaster to life as usual.

12. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Life as usual is changing along with the climate and libertarian wishes not to pay any taxes for anything. Stay tuned!

13. steve knight macrumors 68030

steve knight

very true and it sure taught him not to do it.