Selfies + Driving = Death

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RawBert, May 3, 2014.

1. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Sigh... What a fool. At least she didn't kill anyone but herself.

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

3. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

4. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

6. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Except sometimes they kill someone else with their stupidity.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Sadly, seems like most of the time they do.

Sounds harsh to say this, but I'm glad she died before she killed someone else. Because if she normally takes selfies while driving and didn't have this crash, she would've eventually had another one and the other driver might not have been as lucky.

8. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I feel bad for her family, but she was an idiot.

9. Technarchy, May 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 4, 2014

Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

No doubt this is a case of...

[​IMG]

Thankfully no one else was killed.

In seriousness, the ego, narcissism and vanity that goes with social networks has no place on the road. Nothing you say is that important unless you see the Mothman or Sasquatch.

10. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Oh hey, something we agree on :D

11. macmesser macrumors 6502a

Jeezus! You (and the other guys who made similar statements) are disgusting in your arrogance. This was a tragedy. From whence do you summon the temerity to reduce the sum total of this woman's existence to "stupidity" because she made a mistake which happened to be fatal? Every one of us commits acts of stupidity, even the scientifically aware and responsible denizens of our technological civilization who are by Darwin entitled to shape, control and administer it. Not only them, but even really smart people sometimes do stupid things. Of course, I tender my apologies and my worship to any of you who can truthfully claim to be 100% stupidity-free.

BTW, I was almost going to trash this post because I'm a nice, amicable fellow. Then I saw your final comment and got steamed to the point where I just couldn't let the thread end on that note. (BTW, the poster who charmingly commented that he was glad the victim died before she killed anyone else was even more outre'. He's got the makings of a nice, pragmatic eugenics commissar and obviously merits a position of influence. NOT! ) Your mention of the ego, narcissism and vanity of social networks is ironic, to say the least, in that it underscores how those same attributes can crop up on discussion fora. O brave new world, that hath such people in it!

12. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

She did something that any sane person would tell you was incredibly dangerous in a car. It is sad that she died but its also good that she only killed herself and didn't wipe out an innocent family driving properly because thats what she could have done.

All these idiots driving dangerously have taken that decision to do something stupid, if they kill themselves then at least it minimises the terrible consequences to their actions.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

She was 32 not 15. She had long enough to know better and she potentially could have killed anyone on the road due to her stupidity.

14. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

And all for what?

Mindless "likes" from Facebook "friends"?

15. macmesser macrumors 6502a

Potentially? She didn't, fortunately. We all "potentially" could inflict harm on others due to lapses of judgement and it's often only good luck that intervenes. It's in many ways a dangerous world and we can't completely calculate the consequences of what we do. Any of us could (and probably all of us do) develop bad habits of behavior. I see cops cruising around with smart phones to their ears. The woman did a dumb thing and might have done it regularly. It doesn't mean she was grotesquely stupid nor disrespectful of human life. The take away from this should not be the callous dismissal of this woman's fitness to live by supposed intellectual superiors but perhaps a heightened awareness that as fallible beings we should all guard against dangerous habits and bad judgements. "Do not ask for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee." Just the way I see it.

16. macmesser macrumors 6502a

I agree. Tragic indeed. This is certainly a cautionary tale.

17. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Only idiots have lapses that involve taking out a phone, going to the camera, smiling wide taking a photo, uploading it to facebook and writing a little message all while in control of a vehicle. It was only good luck that meant she didn't kill a family of 5 driving sensibly.

Theres lapses of judgement and then theres being a dangerous moron. If your prone to doing the same things as the woman in this story I suggest you rethink what you consider to be a lapse of judgement.

18. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

About as cautionary as jumping on a trampoline with butcher knives in both hands.

What could go wrong?

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Awful story, nothing to do here but be sad about it.

20. macmesser macrumors 6502a

I did not say this woman's mistake was anything less than very serious. Too bad you didn't happen to pass her in your car and notice her doing this. You could have honked and yelled at her and maybe it would have done some good. I react that way when someone cuts me off on the expressway and they are totally in the wrong. A few times I've pissed someone off with my driving and been honked at, cursed at and scolded. Whether or not I was in the right, this has usually had an immediate positive effect on my driving.

Not to belabor this but I could understand the indignation of someone directly witnessing this behavior. I don't understand it in the case of this tragedy when it can have no positive effect. It seems very cold and harsh to me and if anything it reinforces a lack of empathy and the negative tendency to judge and condemn.

21. macmesser macrumors 6502a

A cautionary tale is one with a lesson and this seems to fit the bill. For me the lesson would be something like "don't take for granted that familiar surroundings and activities are as safe as they are familiar", or "operating heavy machinery requires nothing less than one's complete attention", or "a life may be snuffed out in an instant without warning" or "it would suck if something I did caused others to suffer or die."

22. macmesser macrumors 6502a

I agree, it's very sad. In that woman's smiling face I don't see an evolutionary dead end, I see a human being with a life. She got caught up in carelessness and in a moment lost everything.

23. chown33 macrumors 604

I upvoted your post!!

24. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I feel very sad for this woman's family.

Personally, I hope this #selfie trend goes away at some point.

25. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

And I, yours.

Pointless isn't it? All this craving of others' approval.