Selfies + Driving = Death

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
Sigh... What a fool. At least she didn't kill anyone but herself.

Link

Selfie crash death: Woman dies in head-on collision seconds after uploading pictures of herself and ‘HAPPY’ status to Facebook

A woman has died in a head-on collision on a US highway just seconds after she posted selfies and updated her status on Facebook, police have said.

At 8.33am on Thursday a post appeared on 32-year-old Courtney Sanford’s Facebook timeline which read: “The happy song makes me so HAPPY.” At 8.34am police were called to reports of a crash.

Officers said Ms Sanford was alone in her car when it crossed the central reservation, crashed into a recycling truck and burst into flames, forcing the other vehicle off the road.

She was on her way to work along Interstate 85 in North Carolina at the time, and police said they found no evidence that drink, drugs or speed were factors in the collision.

The link to Facebook only emerged this weekend after friends of Ms Sanford came forward to tell police that a number of her posts online appeared to come from a similar time to the incident itself.

High Point Police Department spokesperson Lt Chris Weisner told the WGHP TV station that the crash was a real-life public service advert “showing what happens when you text and drive”.

Ms Sanford's car drifted across the central reservation and crashed head-on into a truck, forcing both off the road, before catching on fire (WGHP)

Lt Weisner said that as well as the status update seconds before the crash, evidence from Ms Sanford’s social media profiles showed she had also been taking pictures of herself while on the highway.

“In a matter of seconds, a life was over just so she could notify some friends that she was happy. It’s really not worth it,” he said.

“As sad as it is, it is also a grim reminder for everyone… you just have to pay attention while you are in the car.”

Police said that the truck was being driven by 73-year-old John Wallace Thompson, who walked away unharmed.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Except sometimes they kill someone else with their stupidity.
Sadly, seems like most of the time they do.

Sounds harsh to say this, but I'm glad she died before she killed someone else. Because if she normally takes selfies while driving and didn't have this crash, she would've eventually had another one and the other driver might not have been as lucky.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
No doubt this is a case of...

Thankfully no one else was killed.

In seriousness, the ego, narcissism and vanity that goes with social networks has no place on the road. Nothing you say is that important unless you see the Mothman or Sasquatch.

Last edited:

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand

In seriousness, the ego, narcissism and vanity that goes with social networks has no place on the road. Nothing you say is that important unless you see the Mothman or Sasquatch.
Oh hey, something we agree on :D

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA

Jeezus! You (and the other guys who made similar statements) are disgusting in your arrogance. This was a tragedy. From whence do you summon the temerity to reduce the sum total of this woman's existence to "stupidity" because she made a mistake which happened to be fatal? Every one of us commits acts of stupidity, even the scientifically aware and responsible denizens of our technological civilization who are by Darwin entitled to shape, control and administer it. Not only them, but even really smart people sometimes do stupid things. Of course, I tender my apologies and my worship to any of you who can truthfully claim to be 100% stupidity-free.

BTW, I was almost going to trash this post because I'm a nice, amicable fellow. Then I saw your final comment and got steamed to the point where I just couldn't let the thread end on that note. (BTW, the poster who charmingly commented that he was glad the victim died before she killed anyone else was even more outre'. He's got the makings of a nice, pragmatic eugenics commissar and obviously merits a position of influence. NOT! ) Your mention of the ego, narcissism and vanity of social networks is ironic, to say the least, in that it underscores how those same attributes can crop up on discussion fora. O brave new world, that hath such people in it!

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Jeezus! You (and the other guys who made similar statements) are disgusting in your arrogance. This was a tragedy. From whence do you summon the temerity to reduce the sum total of this woman's existence to "stupidity" because she made a mistake which happened to be fatal? Every one of us commits acts of stupidity, even the scientifically aware and responsible denizens of our technological civilization who are by Darwin entitled to shape, control and administer it. Not only them, but even really smart people sometimes do stupid things. Of course, I tender my apologies and my worship to any of you who can truthfully claim to be 100% stupidity-free.

BTW, I was almost going to trash this post because I'm a nice, amicable fellow. Then I saw your final comment and got steamed to the point where I just couldn't let the thread end on that note. (BTW, the poster who charmingly commented that he was glad the victim died before she killed anyone else was even more outre'. He's got the makings of a nice, pragmatic eugenics commissar and obviously merits a position of influence. NOT! ) Your mention of the ego, narcissism and vanity of social networks is ironic, to say the least, in that it underscores how those same attributes can crop up on discussion fora. O brave new world, that hath such people in it!
She did something that any sane person would tell you was incredibly dangerous in a car. It is sad that she died but its also good that she only killed herself and didn't wipe out an innocent family driving properly because thats what she could have done.

All these idiots driving dangerously have taken that decision to do something stupid, if they kill themselves then at least it minimises the terrible consequences to their actions.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

She was 32 not 15. She had long enough to know better and she potentially could have killed anyone on the road due to her stupidity.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
She was 32 not 15. She had long enough to know better and she potentially could have killed anyone on the road due to her stupidity.
Potentially? She didn't, fortunately. We all "potentially" could inflict harm on others due to lapses of judgement and it's often only good luck that intervenes. It's in many ways a dangerous world and we can't completely calculate the consequences of what we do. Any of us could (and probably all of us do) develop bad habits of behavior. I see cops cruising around with smart phones to their ears. The woman did a dumb thing and might have done it regularly. It doesn't mean she was grotesquely stupid nor disrespectful of human life. The take away from this should not be the callous dismissal of this woman's fitness to live by supposed intellectual superiors but perhaps a heightened awareness that as fallible beings we should all guard against dangerous habits and bad judgements. "Do not ask for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee." Just the way I see it.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Potentially? She didn't, fortunately. We all "potentially" could inflict harm on others due to lapses of judgement and it's often only good luck that intervenes.
Only idiots have lapses that involve taking out a phone, going to the camera, smiling wide taking a photo, uploading it to facebook and writing a little message all while in control of a vehicle. It was only good luck that meant she didn't kill a family of 5 driving sensibly.

Theres lapses of judgement and then theres being a dangerous moron. If your prone to doing the same things as the woman in this story I suggest you rethink what you consider to be a lapse of judgement.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Only idiots have lapses that involve taking out a phone, going to the camera, smiling wide taking a photo, uploading it to facebook and writing a little message all while in control of a vehicle. It was only good luck that meant she didn't kill a family of 5 driving sensibly.

Theres lapses of judgement and then theres being a dangerous moron. If your prone to doing the same things as the woman in this story I suggest you rethink what you consider to be a lapse of judgement.
I did not say this woman's mistake was anything less than very serious. Too bad you didn't happen to pass her in your car and notice her doing this. You could have honked and yelled at her and maybe it would have done some good. I react that way when someone cuts me off on the expressway and they are totally in the wrong. A few times I've pissed someone off with my driving and been honked at, cursed at and scolded. Whether or not I was in the right, this has usually had an immediate positive effect on my driving.

Not to belabor this but I could understand the indignation of someone directly witnessing this behavior. I don't understand it in the case of this tragedy when it can have no positive effect. It seems very cold and harsh to me and if anything it reinforces a lack of empathy and the negative tendency to judge and condemn.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
About as cautionary as jumping on a trampoline with butcher knives in both hands.

What could go wrong?
A cautionary tale is one with a lesson and this seems to fit the bill. For me the lesson would be something like "don't take for granted that familiar surroundings and activities are as safe as they are familiar", or "operating heavy machinery requires nothing less than one's complete attention", or "a life may be snuffed out in an instant without warning" or "it would suck if something I did caused others to suffer or die."