Sell 2010 unibody MBP and get the new one on Thursday?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheRekz, Feb 22, 2011.

1. TheRekz macrumors regular

I am in a really big doubt as of now, I want to get that new MBP if it really has that built in SSD. Do you guys think I should sell it and get the new one? I am willing to spend an extra $500-$600. Is anyone else doing this?

2. mdgm macrumors 6502a

If you want an SSD that bad, buy a SSD from a 3rd party seller and put it in your current machine yourself. Well, at least that's what I'd do if I had the 2010 unibody and wanted a SSD.

3. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

I am thinking about it. I only have roughly 300 to spend on the upgrade so I will probably be stuck with 13". With that said, I think I will only upgrade if the 13 gets a standard i5. Since an i3 is more likely, I will probably not upgrade.

Here's wishing and Praying that apple includes an i5 standard on the 13"

Btw, I already have ssd so SSd is not a determining factor for me. Since you want SSd, i would see what size comes standard, if any. If none appeal to you, aftermarket ones are great.

4. axu539 macrumors 6502a

The SSD alone would be an absolutely stupid idea to upgrade. If you really needed some extra processing power with the SB chips or if you really needed a better display, then maybe it would be worth an upgrade. But spending 500-600 to upgrade only one generation just doesn't seem worth it to me.

To put things in perspective, if you want the SSD, you can get a 240 GB SSD from OWC that will no doubt be faster than Apple's drives for $520. Apple currently charges $650 for that price. Now, the cost of SSDs might come down with the generation update, but at worst, you still just break even in terms of money, and you lose a lot of time and effort.

5. TheRekz thread starter macrumors regular

Well to put things into perspective, it's not just the SSD, but as well design and the HD display and SB also! I don't know how much performance difference is the current SB with the i5 I currently have. Also it depends on the price, do you think it's possible for a price drop?

6. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

So everybody is pretty sure it's coming out on Thursday huh?

7. axu539 macrumors 6502a

If SSDs (in any capacity) are standard, I highly doubt we'll see a price drop. Either way, if you want to sell your machine and upgrade, today is basically the last day to do it before the value drops some more.. Personally, I wouldn't waste the effort. Your machine is perfectly capable.

8. BubbaMc macrumors regular

Sell it now for a decent price while you still can.

Time is rapidly running out.

9. skier777 macrumors 6502

Its my understanding that the new one will probably just have a small amount of flash for the OS, apps, etc. If this is true, the HDD-->SSD upgrade is still going to be absurdly expensive. For 500 bucks plus what you would get for yours, you probably wont be getting that much more than what you have. Did you buy apple care for it? if so, factor that in as another $230.

If all you want is the SSD, and you have 500 bucks to spend, just buy an SSD and stick it in the 2010 model. You would probably get a far better drive than the one apple will "give" you. And if the speculation is correct its only 16GB, after you put your OS and CS5 on there you might be a bit short on space for the rest of your apps.

10. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

Nah, it' too late now. I just took a look in Craigslist and already there are dozens of "DON'T BUY! Newer MacBook Pros to be introduced by this week!" listings.

To the OP, assuming that you will sell you MBP for much lower than what you paid for it, then to buy the new one with the standard SSD (not the built in 16Gb) be prepared to spend much more than $500-$600. Choose wisely...

11. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

They are not coming out on Thursday!! You people have two more l-o-n-g months to wait. :p

12. BanterClaus macrumors regular

BanterClaus

:eek:

Stop messing with our minds.

Your make me worried now :(

13. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

It MIGHT be a little late for that, had you really wanted to sell it, you should have done it 1-2 week ago. Double check the market price and see if the MBP market is tanking or not.

14. TheRekz thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, I know it's kind of late at this point... I just hope that the update tomorrow isn't that significant so I don't have to regret... looking at the current 13" leaked specs, I am disappointed already

15. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

I bought the new Macbook Air Ultimate and love the speed of the SSD and how fast everything boots. Instant on is wonderful.

16. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Refresh is coming.
    That is the only reason why mbp is on back order.

It will be sandy bridge with intel gpu and no ssd.