Sell Apple Stock or Hold On?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zedcars, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Zedcars macrumors 6502

Zedcars

Global stock markets are tanking following the news of Trump's election today. I'm an Apple stock holder - long term. I'm expecting a rough ride and a substantial drop. Any advice would be welcome. Do you think it would be wise to hold on and ride the storm or drop the stock faster than a Clinton supporter's rally sign?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Since the markets are going down and likely will recover after a while, either when Trump turns out to have been lying all campaign long or at worst in a couple years when he is gone it's a bad time to sell. I'm hoping to invest a good amount of money this week so hopefully I can get a good amount back when the market recovers.

3. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Stock going down is a scare tactic. If you want to sell it...sell it. Apple will love to take that punishment. Maybe Apple will learn to not ignore Mac hardwares.

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Sell sell sell, and then spend spend spend in a blaze of glory.

5. Galacticos macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

When the CEO starts talking about social issues being a priority for the company, that's as clear a sign as you could hope for to sell

6. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I wouldn't do anything at the moment. Dow futures are down 200 right now, around 600 better than they were last night. Could still be a sell off during the day today, but at least for the moment things have started to calm. I'd at least resist the "tanking" word for another 10 minutes.

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It's a buyers market. I have about $24K cash that's going into securities this week.

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Don't drop it. People are still holding on to those Clinton campaign signs. Look around PRSI she still has supporters wanting to believe.

9. IronWaffle, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016

IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

I'd hold for now. Transacting based on emotions is often a mistake (that can lead to buying high and selling low, for instance). Ditto transacting based on politics. The DOW and NASDAQ are surprisingly stable today. Long run that may not hold. Of course, it also depends on a few factors: do you need the money now? How is the current value compared to your cost basis? Do you know how the sell would affect your taxes?

What follows is not advice. Just sharing what I was told today and then adding my own sensibility. These are very personal decisions that can only be made by someone who knows your finances, goals, possible tax consequences, temperament, etc. It's geared more towards broader investment, so it may be overkill if you don't do much investing (in which case skip to the last three lines below).

This morning I sat in on a live conference call with financial advisors who pointed to some areas of potential opportunity (steel being one) and others that are potentially risky (such as some Eastern European and Asian markets which many have been bullish on for a few years). I plan on re-listening to a recording of the call when my head is clearer. I'm among those for whom this election outcome was a deep blow. Making these decisions with an unclear mind is like going grocery shopping after a three day fast. That said, the tone of their thoughts was sober and sensible.

For my part, I'd only sell if I needed the capital now. The only reason I'd buy right now is I had a pile of cash and am knowledgeable enough about a sector, stock or fund to detect a "deal" (while keeping in mind the balance of my overall portfolio). Of course, if you're long term then there's likely less risk. If you are well diversified then whatever industries may be damaged either by Trump's policies or by negative anticipation of them should be offset by others that will benefit. In theory.

If all that sounds like gobbledygook: I'd pay attention to the markets for a week. Don't watch Kramer or any of these financial channels with lots of sirens, squawks and catchphrases. Search around finance.google.com (great dynamic charts). I'd add the main indexes to your iPhone's stock app/notification widget and check them daily. I have Dow Jones, NASDAQ, FTSE, S&P, ^HSI, Nikkei, NYSE. and some index funds I track. That'd give you a larger view.

I might look into Vanguard (which I tend to trust), Wealthfront or one of these other services and see what they're posting. They also have questionnaires that help you determine what's best for you.

10. Zedcars thread starter macrumors 6502

Zedcars

Thanks for the replies. The markets seem to have recovered somewhat so I think I will hold onto my stock for now.

11. Videomanmac macrumors 6502

Videomanmac

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

13. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

14. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Your original post you said you were a "long" stockholder for AAPL. I think you are confused about what kind of stockholder you are.

If you invest based on emotions, as another poster stated above, then you'd do poorly as a long-term investor.

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Hold ..... People will still buy iPhones in record numbers when they charge $1,700 for 32gb. :p

16. Zedcars thread starter macrumors 6502

Zedcars

Since 2010. I suppose not nearly as long as some though.

I appreciate the advice.

17. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

6 years is a long time, sure. But many long-term investors see their stock/fund investments as something they invest in and won't touch until it's grown to a substantial amount into their later (retirement) years. It's similar to how one looks at the 401k retirement savings plans. Sure you have the option to "pull out" early, but it will cost you. The patient investor will reap the maximum earnings, but will not realize it until later in life.

Only get rid of your Apple stocks if you are convinced that Apple is permanently "done" and no longer has any ability to grow ever again. That of course is hardly the case, since with its huge cash hoard, Apple has lots of opportunity to grow in the future. Apple's surplus cash hoard is wealthier than several countries on this planet (many nations are debtor nations or bankrupt).

18. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

You should probably sell it and put that money into an index fund, unless you're very risk tolerant.

19. chabig macrumors 68040

I think you answered your own question. Hold, and if you are confident in Apple's business, take advantage of the low price to buy more, provided your eggs aren't all in one basket.