Sell Gevey Unlocked 4S, how to prep?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by youssefm, Sep 21, 2012.

1. youssefm macrumors 6502

Hey everyone. I've been getting conflicting answers through my searches, so it would be great if anyone could help me.

I want to sell my iPhone 4S along with a gevey sim to unlock it (it's on 5.0.1 and I want to keep it that way). How can I remove everything on the phone without requiring activation (if the other user is on tmobile, they can't activate right away, they'd need an ATT sim first, correct?) and also not updating the firmware.

I read that erase all content and settings sends you to the activation screen, so can I activate if I have an inactive ATT sim? I upgraded to the iPhone 5 so the sim in the 4S isn't active, is that insufficient for activation? Or in the end am I stuck manually erasing everything to keep it activated? Thanks for the help in advance :)

2. youssefm thread starter macrumors 6502

bump!

I also wanted to know if it was okay to give the person my old micro sim card, or would it possibly contain any information?

3. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

Honestly I would probably just factory restore it and sell it locked. The gevey unlock is too sloppy and unreliable as I've had some that easily unlocked the 4s and others that would randomly revert back to the "activation required" screen as soon as you put a tmobile sim inside even after it had already been activated with an AT&T sim.

But if you're determined to sell it as unlocked with a gevey then it's best to just erase everything manually.

4. youssefm thread starter macrumors 6502

I personally used the gevey for over 2 months and that never happened, but I definitely understand what you're saying. I've been getting more offers though selling it gevey unlocked, but I guess I might reconsider.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I would suggest paying a site like "theunlockedclub" $20 to just factory unlock it for you.