Sell iMac + iPad? Need new workhorse for Photo/Video

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MattSepeta, Mar 2, 2011.

1. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Heres the deal: Had an iMac + MacBook. Macbook crappe dout on me, sold it for parts and bought an iPad.

Getting pretty fed up with NOT having portability options to work on the road/girlfriends/vacation, gotta get a laptop. Thinking I might as well sell my iMac and iPad and get some nice monitors and use a new MBP as main comp. Thunderbolt may be nice in the future, and I REALLY miss being able to process images away from home.

Current iMac: 24" 2.8 GHz C2D + 6GB RAM + SSD boot/app drive

VS

Potential new MBP : 2GHz quad-core i7 + 8GB RAM + SSD boot/app drive (SSD + Ram upgrades will be 3rd party to save $$$)

Questions-

1. Can I expect a huge speed boost with Aperture 3, FCP7, PSCS4, etc... I really do not know much about processors.

2. Any idea what I could fetch for my iMac? I imagine I could get $1,000+ on account of the $400 SSD upgrade? Am I right?

3. I realize that Laptops are generally slower than desktops, but the iMac AFAIK IS a laptop, by all intents and purposes?

Thanks for any answers to my questions! (Before anyone suggests I wait for new iMacs, most of my desire to upgrade is rooted in mobility, iMacs are great, but I can't put it in my bag)

2. BigMoo macrumors member

You could probably get around a thousand dollars for your iMac. Check out the website mac2sell