Sell iphone 3gs now, use loaner phone, then lose unlimited data!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ultravorx, Jun 20, 2010.

1. ultravorx macrumors member

Just a heads up to those selling your iphones now on ebay and using loaner phones. I just talked with an att rep and he confirmed it.

If you sell your iphone now and use a "loaner", go-phone or anything else you will lose your $30 unlimited data!

I know from experience that even when you switch to a loaner phone before this, the system automatically kicks out your iphone data plan for the regular smart phone plan.

Hopefully no one loses the coveted unlimited plan!!

Frank

2. swissbrit macrumors member

I'm using an unlocked phone, will they recognize ?

3. ultravorx thread starter macrumors member

it just has to remain an iphone, since the iphone data plan is unique, if you switch to any other smartphone, their system will kick out the iphone data plan and you will lose your grandfathered in clause!

4. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

How much longer are we going to beat this dead horse???? You will not lose your iPhone data plan unless you call AT&T and cancel it. :rolleyes:

5. AC773 macrumors member

AC773

I'll probably get flamed for this, but this is nobody's fault but your own. Most people don't need unlimited data, but if you feel so strongly about keeping your plan, why on earth would you jeopardize it to save a few bucks? And why are you only asking what will happen after you've already started using your loaner phone?

6. boatski macrumors regular

This.

I sold my iPhone and shipped it out on Thursday. AT&T's site says I'm using some Samsung phone right now, which I am. I still have my previous Data/Text plans.

7. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

I agree. I don't know how many times I've told people on here this. I've been using my backup phone since MARCH and I still have my unlimited data plan.

Stop worrying people. And stop posting threads like this trying to make people freak out.

8. juan370Z macrumors regular

lmao i rofl when i read your quote thats great. lol:)

9. christyn macrumors 6502a

Some people get away with it, some people don't. Had a friend who did this and had her data plan removed when the system caught on to it, however she was able to get them to reinstate the data plan despite people posting that it was impossible.

10. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

It should be a common knowledge by now that people on MacRumors and HoFo are much more knowledgable about AT&T's and Apple's policies then their own employees.

11. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

I don't see how actually paying for data plan would be considered "getting away with it" :rolleyes:

12. christyn macrumors 6502a

Right.... :rolleyes:

The "getting away with it" refers to the system not catching it and removing it.

Whether or not it personally happened to you, doesn't really change the fact that it has happened to others.

13. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I bet this will change with the multitasking. People will be able to stream Pandora now while doing other things. AT&T has a "Data Calculator" on their site now and if you stream 2 hours of music a day it's 2.02GB a month. I know I am looking forward to streaming music now and not worrying about turning it off as I get a text message.

http://www.att.com/standalone/data-calculator/index.html