Sell iPhone 4S now or wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JasonR, Aug 18, 2012.

  1. JasonR macrumors 6502a


    Nov 11, 2008
    I'm going to buy the new iPhone (provided it has 4G/LTE) or a different Verizon 4G phone off contract. Will I get more money if I sell my 4S now...or will I see a significant drop in price of the 4S when the new iPhone is announced?

    Also...I don't have anything other than a non smart phone to use while I'm waiting for the new phone (sucks). Will I lose my unlimited data if I switch to that phone.

    FYI I'm on Verizon...
  2. AustinIllini macrumors G3


    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin, TX
    We're riding high right now. The price certainly won't go up. There's a good article about this somewhere, but the price doesn't drop upon the announcement, it drops as soon as a major media outlet (like the WSJ for the iPhone 4S) confirms the launch. Sell now, because you could lose $70 in the matter of a few days.

    You shouldn't lose unlimited if you keep paying for it (i think)
  3. batting1000 macrumors 604

    Sep 4, 2011
    It's up to you. You're the one who will have to go without a smartphone for a little bit, not us. These threads are stupid honestly...
  4. 0007776 Suspended


    Jul 11, 2006
    If you don't care about not having a smartphone for a month or two until you can get the new iPhone then yeah you'll get more money selling it now. Personally for me I would think it's worth it to keep the 4S so you can continue using it until you get the new one even if it cuts down on the resale value some.
  5. AustinIllini macrumors G3


    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin, TX
    If you believe the iPhone is going to be released on September 21st, I would make a commitment to sell on August 22nd to one of the sales websites (like with a 30 day guarantee. Ship the phone out when you get the new one on launch day.
  6. willmtaylor, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012

    willmtaylor macrumors G3


    Oct 31, 2009
    A Natural State
    I'm a fan of this idea.

    BTW, you could also read on of the other 5-10 or so threads about almost identical questions. Just a thought.
  7. MacDawg macrumors Core


    Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    I totally agree
    I can't see me selling off early and being without my iPhone for a couple of months to save a few $$
    My iPhone is extremely important to me and my workflow, and I have all my work calls forwarded to it as well

    That said, I will likely pass my phone down and not sell it anyway
  8. clumsythief83 macrumors regular

    Sep 3, 2010
    If you don't mind being without an iPhone 4s for a couple of months, best thing would be sell the 4s, get a 3gs as a backup phone, get the 5 and then sell the 3gs for almost the same price.

    But does it worth all the hassle to save a 50-60$? Not for me.
  9. lowbelly macrumors member

    Sep 18, 2007
    Selling sooner is almost always better than later. Unless you have an Apple TV 1st gen…
  10. bandofbrothers macrumors 601


    Oct 14, 2007
    Unless your an apple fanboy who will buy anything apple regardless you run the risk of selling your current iphone and then not actually liking the next iPhone.

    I can't understand the urge to sell something in anticipation of an unknown aesthetically looking handset, or indeed whats under its hood !

    You could end up buying the same version of handset back !

  11. karin037 macrumors newbie

    Jun 9, 2009

    Gazelle is giving you until October 1st to send in your phone if you lock in now!!

Share This Page