Sell iPhone 4S, use "Dumbphone" in the meantime AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tgi, Aug 29, 2012.

1. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

I have an old Sony Ericsson dumbphone and an iPhone 4S. What I ultimately want to do is sell my 4S and use the dumbphone (without making any changes on my account) until the next iPhone comes out.

I thought I would be able to use my microsim in the dumbphone using an adapter but it won't let me. I did some research and found out that iPhone microsims are specifically designed for the iPhone and won't work with old dumbphones. Well what do they make microsim adapters for then?

Today I was told by an AT&T rep that if wanted to activate a standard sim to use on the dumbphone, they would have to adjust my plan accordingly, meaning I would lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who has tried to do this. What would be the best route to take?

2. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

While waiting for the new 4S, I switched back to my Blackberry Onyx using a SIM card adapter and it works perfectly fine. I just have to call up ATT and told them to switch my iPhone plan to a Blackberry plan in order to use the BBM/email/browser. I was still able to keep my unlimited plan using BB and also when I switch it back to iPhone plan.

3. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

last year I walked into an att store asked for a new standard sim and they gave it to me no questions asked. I used an old dumbphone and kept my unlimited data. They didnt even ask what i was doing with the sim card.

This year im using a palm/hp pre 2 when my 4S sells and will just leave my iphone data plan on the phone

4. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I sold my iPhone 4 on eBay... USPS just shipped it back to me saying my recipient moved and that they didn't provide a forwarding address. The recipient has a Feedback score of 200+ on eBay... and he lives in Brunei... he didn't move, I can see on his account all the different accessories he bought in anticipation for receiving my phone.

Oh yea, the $50 it cost me to ship it... I don't get back... ******* THIEVES!

5. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

Lucky you still got it back. I'll never sell a pricey item to buyer outside US anymore. Learnt my lesson the hard way. Got scammed for more than $2000. I was new to ebay at that time. Be cautious when selling & buying on ebay.

OP, not sure what's up with ATT nowadays, but you should still be able to keep your unlimited data. I've switched between iPhone & BB many times and each time they assured me that I'll still keep my unlimited data.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

this. Just go into the store and ask for a new SIM....tell them you are using something like the nexus so they would not make any data changes.

7. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

The buyer has a great track record and he has had lots of communication with me. I insured it to cover myself. USPS stole my money essentially.

8. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

i had a crappy ebay experience last year as well with my 4. Guy bought it and i specifically stated what baseband/ios version it had that couldnt be unlocked yet he got it and claimed he couldnt unlock it so the auction was wrong. Was out $30 in shipping and another $25-30 in final value fee's that are now stuck in my ebay account.

going for craigslist this year ebay will be a last resort

9. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Yea, that's no fun. This wasn't the buyer. it was USPS.