Sell iPhone 5 now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AbyssImpact, Apr 21, 2013.

  1. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

    Aug 6, 2010
    What do you guys think? iPhones are still at a high resale value, sales ranging from $450-$550 for the 16GB model.

    Should I sell now and wait for an iPhone 5s or wait and let my iPhone 5 depreciate ~$100 when the 5s comes out?
  2. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030


    Nov 2, 2010
    Encino, CA
    When the iPhone 5S comes out I'm sure there are going to be a bunch of people who want one because the price will go down. I'd sell it when the 5S comes out because you might get more pontential buyers (people from other carriers, etc).
  3. bozzykid macrumors 68020

    Aug 11, 2009
    The value will probably drop at least $50-$100 once the new phone is released. The main reason being Apple has generally dropped the retail value of the previous phone by $100 when they release a new one.

    Also waiting until the 5S/6 is out means there is going to be more sellers (but less demand), so there is no way for it to hold the current value.
  4. AFDoc macrumors 68030

    Jun 29, 2012
    Colorado Springs USA for now
    You need to sell now to ensure a great price... then when the 5s comes out I would sell after about 5 months to ensure you're set up for the 6.
  5. steve knight macrumors 68020

    steve knight

    Jan 28, 2009
    If the resale value of your phone is more important then using it why have it at all? It does not really make sense. you have to sue a lesser phone in the mean time so it seems it does not matter if you have a iphone or not.
  6. simply stunning macrumors regular

    Oct 26, 2010
    I second this. If he doesn't need an iPhone 5 for 4(+ -) months, then why does he plan on buying a 5S?
  7. Am3r1ca16, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013

    Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a


    Jul 17, 2012
    New York City
    around october is when i'll sell my iPhone 4S and get the iPhone 5 since thats when the iphone 5 typically go for around $300 or so.and everyone is going to get rid of their old iphone 5 since they'll be upgrading to the iPhone 5S.

    At least thats how i've been doing it for the past 2 years.

    And funny because last year in october of 2012 i sold my unlocked iPhone 4 for $290 (which i originally bought on ebay for $243) for a iPhone 4S for $290 on Craigslist :D lol

    And this is exactly what i plan on doing this coming October. I want the iPhone 5 already -.- lol
  8. 617aircav Suspended

    Jul 2, 2012
    Great point.
  9. yegon macrumors 68030

    Oct 20, 2007
    Totally agree. Phones shouldn't be seen as investments.

    Re: selling when the 5S arrives, far better to wait a month or two till after its release to sell the 5. First month it's a buyers market, second or third month after the market settles down and the prices rise. This has been the case every time I've upgraded and sold an iOS device.
  10. CEmajr macrumors 601

    Dec 18, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    You're absolutely right about that. Right after 5 came out I was able to get a 64GB 4S unlocked for $375 on eBay. 3 months later when I got an iPhone 5 I was shockingly able to sell it on eBay for $435
  11. yegon macrumors 68030

    Oct 20, 2007
    Ha, nice one!
  12. Bear macrumors G3

    Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Since you obviously don't need your iPhone, sell it, cancel your phone service, don't buy a new iPhone and save a lot of money.
  13. 617aircav Suspended

    Jul 2, 2012
  14. asleep macrumors 68040


    Sep 26, 2007
    What's the current US price range for a white iPhone 5 (AT&T) that's about 2 months old that's in excellent condition?
  15. Marrakas, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013

    Marrakas macrumors 6502


    May 23, 2012
    I just bought an open box Iphone 5 32GB for $640. Hoping to get back atleast $550 when I switch to the 5S.

    Yeah I know, dumb move money wise, but I couldn't wait any longer, my current windows phone is killing me slowly.

    I won't get the 5S though if it's not a huge upgrade on the camera and a small one on batterylife.
  16. exynos-octa, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013

    exynos-octa macrumors newbie

    Jul 29, 2013
    I would like to sell my phone and go phoneless
  17. makotoisle macrumors 6502

    May 31, 2012
    To me, it wouldn't be worth not having a phone or using a different OS for the gap until the next phone is released.
  18. exynos-octa macrumors newbie

    Jul 29, 2013
    1-2 months?

    I kinda wanna do it, just to see if I could.

    If I could get what I paid for it, $600. I'd do it in a heartbeat.
  19. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

    Jul 3, 2013
    If money is that "tight" you likely need to wait for the 6.
  20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604


    Jan 17, 2013
    Wales, United Kingdom
    I must be quite old fashioned as I keep my phones for the length of the contract. I can't see the point in selling them early just to have the most up to date iPhone. I'm pretty happy with my phone and am happy it'll handle iOS 7 nicely. :)
  21. CEmajr macrumors 601

    Dec 18, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    I agree. I sold my 4 a little over a month before the 4S was announced in order to get the maximum potential profit. Had to use an Android phone in the meantime and it was terrible. I'd just wait until after the new one is released to sell mine if you plan on upgrading.
  22. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a


    Dec 23, 2012
    I'm the same :), If the phone is "doing the job" for me I keep it
  23. makotoisle macrumors 6502

    May 31, 2012
    What would you use in the meantime?

    When the 5 came out, I trades my 4S for a GS3 about 2 or 3 months before with the thought that the GS3 was brand new and would fetch more money for resale when the 5 came out. The gentleman that traded me had just upgraded to the GS3 and disliked it so much he wanted back to a 4S.

    While that was true, it was also a very frustrating 2 or 3 months and I decided, what's the point of buying an iPhone if I could only use it 9 months out of the year because I wanted top dollar for resell?

    Maybe if I had an older iOS device I could fall back on I would consider it, but then you're still using an old device for a few months,and if I could live with it, why upgrade?

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  24. Ivabign macrumors 6502


    Mar 27, 2011
    The only thing that matters to me is "Will the sale of my current Apple iPhone cover the $199/299 up front costs of the subsidized cost on a new Apple iPhone?"

    The answer is always yes...

    So other than the monthly charge Verizon makes me pay for the subsidy, I never pay a dime for the up-front charges. Free iPhone every 2 years (every one since I am on a family plan and am able to move around the upgrades - lol)
  25. LeiLei macrumors newbie

    Jan 22, 2013
    I would wait until the new iPhone comes out and what would you use in the meantime.

Share This Page