Sell iPhone 5 or Keep?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thedeejay, Sep 6, 2013.

1. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

I need some advice on how much to price my iPhone 5 at. It's an unlocked iPhone 5 Black 32GB with AppleCare+ that expires in Sept 21st 2014. What would you be willing to pay/what would you try to sell it as? I have a few days to quickly sell it before people find out about the 'new iphones' when it's public, causing the price to drop even further. By your response I can gauge if I'm going to keep it or not, because I'm going for the 5C so I want my iPhone 5 to fully cover the costs of the 5C.

2. keitarou macrumors 6502

For a sure and quick sell, I would price it at 450. Even at a premium, I wouldn't go more than 525.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is what I would do as well. I am willing to take a little less to ensure a sale, so I generally price low.

4. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Selling my 64GB iP5 for at least $550 prolly more, it's in mint condition and I'm including the Mophie battery case too $($100).

5. APhillyApple macrumors regular

I honestly would keep it, no point really in selling it. Its a great device that you already have and can upgrade to ios 7 no problem.

6. muyaad macrumors member

I would like to sell mine too but that wouldn't happen until iPhone 5S come out and I will compare it to iPhone 5. There I would decide to keep it or sell it. I really don't care about price drop. I enjoyed my iPhone and if the enjoyment's going to be greater and worthy on 5S that what matters to me not the price drop.

7. benji888, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013

benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

But, if you do this you'd have to go with less memory (not recommended, I got the 16GB and it's not enough, regret not getting more mem.) You'd be better off waiting, saving for the iPhone 6, it'll be more of a jump from the 5. Or get yourself a new iPad mini for christmas this year. ;)

iPhone 5 runs iOS 7 great, can do AirDrop, no limitations from what we know iOS 7 will have, and makes for a nice upgrade (I've been using the beta on my iPhone 5 and it feels like a new phone all over again :D). Only reason to go with 5S is for the fingerprint sensor or if you are a show off and have to have the latest and greatest. Unless Apple surprises us with NFC and you have to have that, but, doubt we'll see NFC payments before the iPhone 6 (That's what I'm holding out for).

8. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Sell iPhone 5 or Keep?

You have a premium product as described especially being unlocked and with AppleCare +

Price? I sold 2 iPhone 4S last November ( yes after the IPhone 5 was out) for $535 at auction on eBay. The specs were the same as yours. One included cases and one a Mophie pack. Each sold with 1 day auctions. My phones were in mint physical condition.

Price? Best way is to look at ebay auction today to see what it's going for( phones that compare to yours). You are not going to get more than that.

Don't forget that rumors are that the 32gb iPhone 5 will be discontinued so your model is at a premium for resale.

9. abz1981 macrumors 65816

your post is so true for me too. I have the iphone 5. Not bothered about finger scanners and nfc aint really my thing, as I use my debit/credit card for nfc payments anyway. With IO7 my phone will be complete with all the features I really need. Looking forward to airdrop and the ability to block numbers and sms lol.

10. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I am personally waiting for the announcement to decide if I am selling or not, I know it means that I'll get less for my iPhone 5. But at this moment in time, the Galaxy Note 3 seems more appealing.

11. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I have gone from iphone 4-5 every year upgrading and subsidizing by selling the iphone or changing to a corporate account offered at my job. Every time it has cost me little to nothing to do so. With my i5 I have everything I really wanted in a phone. If you really like having a new phone every year price it at around $450 and I am sure someone will get it. If however you think it may be better to wait for a whole new model (as I am leaning towards for iphone 6) take the year and save the $$ so you can buy an unlocked one outright.

12. CEmajr macrumors 601

$450 will get it sold fast. $500 of you want to sit on it for a few days.

13. EGamComp macrumors newbie

I would actually prefer an IPhone 5 over a 5C. You should rethink it, but that's just my opinion...

14. thedeejay thread starter macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Thanks for response guys. Thank god I didn't sell my phone. I would've been disappointed. Especially after looking at the price of a 5C or 5S!

15. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

Keeping my iphone 5. Not interested AT ALL in either of these 2 new iphones. Ill wait for Iphone 6 before buying a new iphone. Nothing really new/great to justify my in selling my 5 for a 5c or 5s. Finger print sensor? Blah....