Sell late-2008 2.53ghz umbp for mid-2009 2.26ghz umbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kousuke18, Aug 31, 2009.

  1. kousuke18 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2008
    #1
    I have been tempted to switch to one of the mid 2009 umbp mainly because of the 7 hour battery. I know I will be essentially downgrading to a lower spec laptop but I really want the extended battery on the new models. I can only get about $1600CAD for my current machine and it will cost me around $1500CAD for the 2.26ghz mbp. Should I do this? or would you do this if you were in a situation similar to this?
     
  2. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

    AppleTecFan

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2009
    Location:
    N/A
    #2
    I would Keep The one you have
    One its faster
    Two it has better graphics
    Bigger HD
    RAM
    etc. etc.
    I would keep it but, its your choice
     
  3. NewEyesOpen macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    Location:
    West Virginia
    #3
    i've learned that the battery life suggest by apple is merely that, a suggestion. I'm sure they've tested the new mbp's at optimal settings, temperatures, etc in order to hit that benchmark. Why? Because Apple is a business, and like all other businesses, they have an incentive to sell computers to us consumers, and of course make profit. While they do create some of, if not the best machines in the computer industry, they still have a motive.
     
  4. adamk77 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2008
    #4
    Is battery that important to you?
     
  5. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #5
    Are you willing to carry an spare battery or two?
     
  6. kousuke18 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2008
    #6
    I hate to admit it but most of the lecture halls at my university do not have any AC outlets so I often find myself needing to recharge my mbp after several classes. I'm thinking that with the new mbp's, I should at least be able to make it through a school day without needing to recharge until I get back home.

    This is actually a very good idea... Do you have any experience with buying OEM mbp batteries on ebay? I'm looking at this one: http://cgi.ebay.ca/A1281-Battery-Fo...3ef7e197ed&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_1767wt_941 and it seems pretty legit.
     
  7. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2009
    #7
    same opinion


    if i were you, i would change only for a bump of 2 generations, not 1

    from a generation to another, the improvements are not so fantastic, sometimes it's even worth

    contrary to rev A to rev B, selling a rev A to get a rev C is much more interesting

    you should keep your current machine
     
  8. aaquib macrumors 65816

    aaquib

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2007
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    #8
    Why would the 13" be $1500? It's $1300 with the education discount and then after tax that's about $1500 but if you sell the iPod and printer you'd get back another $200. Btw, if you decide to sell yours let me know. I'm in Canada and would buy it for $1600cdn. Pm me if you're in Toronto as I have a 13" 2.26 MBP but think I can net $1200cdn on eBay.
     
  9. The Californian macrumors 68040

    The Californian

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2009
    Location:
    Surfers Paradise
    #9
    I can vouch that I have been getting consistently better than 6 hours on my mid-2009 UMBP if that helps at all.
     
  10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #10
    Agree with previous posters who have suggested getting an additional battery and waiting for at least the next edition of the mbp to get an upgrade.

    If your current laptop (with the additional battery) meets your current needs, continue to use it until it no longer does. In addition, the extra battery may enable you to sell your current rig when it's time to upgrade faster or for a better price.
     

Share This Page