Sell MBP 2.4GHz Unibody and buy 2.0Ghz MacBook Unibody?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AluminumMB, Mar 23, 2009.

1. AluminumMB macrumors regular

I feel like the value I get from the MBP is not as good as the 2.0GHz MacBook Unibody which is about $700 less.

I would opt for a 2.0GHz MacBook Unibody + Logitech illuminated wired Keyboard

any thoughts?

2. lazydesi macrumors 6502

3. pendo macrumors regular

this is a highly subjective question. you will probably have answers all over the place.

while the screen is real crummy compared to the mbp i don't mind it for my uses. i never watch movies, other than short web clips or news. i love the smaller form factor, and it never leaves my side.

your reasons echo mine and i went with the entry level mb to start with. great machine.

my .02

4. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

I was going to go for 2.0ghz macbook + 4GB upgrade + logitech illuminated kb

guess its a bad idea even if its cheaper is the screen quality that worse

5. SecondDealer macrumors regular

You could always use the money you'll save / make from the sale to buy a 24" 1080p external monitor and probably a blue ray DVD player as well, so when you're docked at home your viewing will be amazing.

6. sud macrumors regular

No its not bad at all, I bought the mbp and was totally unhappy with it for the money spent.

I took it back and swapped it for the mb 2.4 with 4gb memory, never looked back, I'm a keen photographer so found the smaller form factor to be great for lugging around.

It has more them enough grunt to do everything I need from mucking about in xcode to editing photos in raw. I do have the new 24" apple display which I plug in for any fine detail. I cant comment about video editing or games as I do neither.

You wont be unhappy

7. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

already got a PS3

8. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

imo, depending on the quality of your MBP, it does not worth it, you will lost a lot money. You also look out for the screen on the Macbook, because it's a world of difference.

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...good luck with the sale, but why does your add only say 1 year apple care?...

How long ago did you buy it, or do you just have the standard warranty?

10. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I agree that you'll be happier. I'll also reiterate that if the screen isn't the cat's pjs for you, you can always use some of the savings to pick up an external display for use when you're at your desktop. Dell has some very nice ones at a fraction of the Apple price, as does HP. Do a search on the forum to find specific model numbers.

11. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

The thread topic makes me wonder, what were your reasons for buying a mbp over a mb in the first place? That might help us with suggestions :D

12. j5045096 Guest

I hate to say it but counting depreciation, eBay fees and shipping you're going to throw no less than 250 bucks right down the drain. Why not just stick with what you've got-the grass is probably not greener on the other side

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Good suggestion. ;)

Too bad it's already on eBay. I think it's a waste to sell it, but it's also a waste to keep something you don't want when it still holds so much monetary value.

15. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

Yeah why you would sell it I don't know, you spent the money already and really its all about performance and what you need the computer for. But you havent given us any of this so I dont know what to tell you.

16. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

At first I thought....at the fraction of the price, you can get a high end PC with a much higher quality display of a external monitor.

However, after thinking long and hard about it, I decided to cancel the auction and stick with it. WTF WAS I THINKING? The MacBook Pro Unibody is the best notebook out, regardless of its non-matte display!

peace
    /close thread

17. scan macrumors 6502

because i went from a Pb 1.5 for four years and I know that the small form factor wears off after year 1-2. I love my 15" mbp. If they had the 17" uni when i bought mine I may have even went for that. bigger the better

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

See you in a few weeks.

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

if you were starting with nothing I might say MB. But you already have the MBP and would take a big hit selling it, so no, I don't think you should move to the MB. Keep what you have and be happy with it because it's an awesome machine.