Sell my older Thinkpad and buy an el cheapo peecee? (please dont kill me)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iMpathetic, Dec 25, 2007.

1. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Well, I recently went 100% Mac, in terms of machines i use daily. i recently bought a ThinkPad T41 for $450, and I was wondering if i should sell it and buy a cheap new laptop, that's slightly faster.

Would this be any better than the one I have now? More importantly, do these $400 cheapass PCs actually hold up for any length of time?

Let me know guys, I know this isn't exactly y'alls forte, but i can't afford a MacBook to run Windoze on and I don't really mind Windows anyway. i also need a laptop to take notes on in class, IM and stuff like that.

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It's going to be hard to find a modern laptop for under $500. If I were you, I'd keep the T41; it's going to be hard enough to sell it for $450, especially when you can find T42s for under $500 on TigerDirect.

Edit: Here's a great listing of computers for under $500, though. And check out that 17" Gateway! I'm thinking of ordering it :^)

3. .myk. macrumors newbie

Well. i also have many windows system.

And for the best bang for the buck. Laptop wise. Hp and Compaq have many nice systems.

You can get a nice 2.2 Ghz Dual Core. with 120 GB HD and 1 GB RAM for around 400-500 dollars.

I suggest going to best buy, walmart, or comp usa.

-Myk

4. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I still don't know....:confused:Anyone know of the keyboard quality on these things?

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

keyboard quality on what?

the T41 is a nice machine and if it does what you need it to do (notes, IMing, etc.) then keep it. you shouldn't go through the hassle of selling a computer so you can buy one you don't necessarily need, particularly since you probably won't get more than what you paid for the T41.

6. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

If you're an intelligent user and don't click on flashy banners or pop-up ads, these computers will last as long as any other. Sure, a thinkpad will take a beating, but in terms of operation, when it comes right down to it, a Cheapie will work just as fine.

I'd say if the need is there, go for it. Just know that they are budget for a reason (cheaper HDs, case build, screen quality).

Reputable brands I would reccommend: HP, Sony, Compaq, Gateway (in that order)

7. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Yea. My mom has a Dell Vostro 1000, started at $449, but I made her upgrade the RAM to 2GB. It seems to be built fairly decently, but the battery life is, like, an hour. If anyone happens to be traipsing around the Best Buy or Wal-mart websites and happens to, well, happen upon a deal, let me knwow.