Sell my previously unlocked iPhone 3G with 3.1 back to AT&T customer?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sheeds, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Sheeds macrumors member

Sheeds

I foolishly upgraded to 3.1 via iTunes. So now I can't unlock my phone anymore.

I bought mine from someone in the US, an AT&T customer, I live in Canada.

I just want to make sure I can sell my iPhone, back to an AT&T customer, and they can still use it, with an AT&T SIM.

Thanks

2. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

You can unlock again.

I'm pretty sure you can unlock it again, it took a while, but the iPhone Developers have just finished the software to Jailbreak (and looks like unlock) an iPhone3G. Here's the link: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Correct me if I'm wrong.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Ooops, I was going to suggest that you make a donation if this solution works, but I remembered that the dev-team won't accept them. Nevermind.

4. Sheeds thread starter macrumors member

Sheeds

Yeah, they've done it all right.
    But I used the iTunes .ipsw, and not theirs, which was fatal. Thanks though!

Question still stands, I'm sure it will work, but I just need reassurance so I don't sell it to somebody and it wont work.

5. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Sorry, I can't reassure you of anything.

Sorry, I can't really reassure you any more than you already are. I have no proof it will work, just based on thought.

The reason I think it will work is because without the AT&T SIM working, the phone would be useless, and I don't think Apple did that. I think Apple made it so that you can't use any of the other carriers, and has limited it back to the way it's "supposed to be".

I also overlooked the part where the iPhone Dev Team said that this new software to Jailbreak a 3.1 will not unlock it.