Sell Unlimited Data Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AFPoster, Sep 17, 2012.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

So I was reading a thread in here a week or so ago and I can't seem to find it so I guess I will just come out and ask. How do you sell your unlimited data plan with a U.S. carrier (AT&T) to someone else?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I've never heard of such a thing and doubt that it is even possible. The carriers that have it are trying to get rid of it, save for Sprint. Why would they allow a transference of the thing they're trying to eliminate to another person?

3. kazpod macrumors member

4. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

You can sell an unlimited iPad plan, but not one for a phone.

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Yea I think you could in theory, just change the primary account holders info.

6. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

You can not sell AT&T data plans but you can still sell Verizon ones . It's called an AOL and very easy . They even have a special dept setup for those calls open 24-7

7. andross77 macrumors regular

I heard of some people doing it and also read that the unlimited is linked to your name/account ID/SS# so there is no way to transfer.

A better question is, Since we are heading to a future where EVERYTHING is computers/internet/smart phones/wireless/data WHY would anyone consider selling an unlimited plan. It's undoubtedly worth more than whatever you would sell it for. I guess the only legit reason would be if someone was strapped for cash NOW and can't hold on to the better longterm investment.

8. jamst149 macrumors member

Here is what I did.

Searched craigslist for ...take unlimited data contract

Found someone looking for it, contacted them, confirmed they wanted it.

Called verizon, told them I wanted to transfer my contract to someone else via "authorization of liability." Gave them the name of the person.

Then the person calls in and does the authorization of liability. Contract is no longer in my name and they have now gotten unlimited data and I have gotten out of my contract.

This guy then went ahead and preordered a unsubsidized iphone thus preserving the unlimited data. I was then able to preorder under a new contract for a subsidized phone. I had no neeed for unlimited adata, he did so it was a win win for both.

Now I didn't "sell" it. I asked for no money. I just saw it as a way to get out of my contract. But I have seen people attempting to sell them.

9. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Not strapped for cash, brother is switching from AT&T to Verizon and he thought you could sell the plan for $ and I remember seeing something so I thought I'd ask. I'll share the message, thanks all!

10. jamst149 macrumors member

Newsflash...you aren't goingt o have unlimited data forever or maybe even within the next year or so. The carriers will ensure this. Also most people don't come close to utilizing it. I think I read like 4% of the US population actually consumes enough data to justify it.

11. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Those numbers couldn't be further from the actual truth

12. andross77 macrumors regular

yeah, what is your support for the 4% number?? Verizon charges $50 to use 1gb of data. Unlimited data plans that people still have are $30. So you are telling me only 4% of people use 1gb of network data a month? ROFL

I just used 1.7GB of data updating my NOVA 3 game while away from wifi.......

----------

yeah, this is the other legit scenario hehe. forgot about people switching carriers since i haven't done it in so long :)

13. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

You can give your whole account over to someone else, but you can't specifically transfer the data plan.

They call it a "Transfer of Responsibility" at AT&T.

There are actually a number of websites dedicated to connecting people to do this.