Selling 2011 15 inch Macbook Pro for the rumored 15 inch redesign?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mastaofdisasta, May 14, 2012.

  1. mastaofdisasta macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2011
    #1
    Hey everyone,

    I had a quick viewpoint I wanted to run by you guys. I currently have a February 2011 15 inch Macbook Pro. Runs great and in perfect condition. After reading the recent redesign rumors, the new ones definitely look like its gonna be a good upgrade. So good in fact, that I'm thinking about putting my current one on Craigslist/eBay and putting those funds in getting the new one. Is anyone else in my situation thinking the same thing? Let me know, I need some second opinions on this!
     
  2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

    basesloaded190

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2007
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #2
    Nope. My current set-up does more than already need. While it would be cool to have a potential retina screen, for what I use my computer for, I'll be sticking with what i have.
     
  3. whiteonline macrumors 6502

    whiteonline

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2011
    Location:
    California, USA
    #3
    I'm happy with my 15" mpb, but wouldn't mind staying current. However, if most of the rumors materialize, I will wait a spec bump or two for the bugs to be ironed out.
     
  4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

    heisenberg123

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    Location:
    Hamilton, Ontario
    #4
    I have yet to encounter something my early 2011 can't do, if your going to by a new one every year thats cool but there will always be a "new" one when your need to replace your current
     
  5. thekev macrumors 604

    thekev

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2010
    #5
    You're considering putting up your computer without knowing when or what the new ones will be:rolleyes:? Personally if I could live without mine for an undetermined amount of time, I wouldn't even plan on purchasing the new one.
     
  6. Tatonnement macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    #6
    I already sold mine in February and still waiting. Hoping for a June release.
     
  7. user418 macrumors 6502a

    user418

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    #7
    Plan to keep my late 2011 15" MBP for a while. Runs great, still looks brand new, and haven't realized it's full potential.
     
  8. ixodes macrumors 601

    ixodes

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2012
    Location:
    Pacific Coast, USA
    #8
    If you've got nothing better to do with your time and money, then by all means sell the one you have, and buy the new one.

    Be prepared for bugs and issues with the new one, after all it's an all new design, I'm not being critical just speaking from experience. It hasn't been in the hands of the public yet, so it has no track record. There's no way to know until they've been out a few months just what they're like.

    Newer is not always, better, even though it's hyped to be. What else do you expect them to say other than it's the greatest MBP of all.

    Me? I'm waiting for the following years model, those are typically the ones with the bugs sorted out, the refinements made, and the one to have.
     
  9. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #9
    2012 model? Nope, not a chance in hell. no how, no way. I'll be completely satisfied with my current 2008 model for the next 5 years .............................................. MY ASS!!! Yeaahh right!!!!! I'm getting that Macbook Pro with retina baby!!!. lol.
     
  10. Anthony81586 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2011
    #10
    I was in the exact same boat just yesterday. I received the 8GB of RAM I ordered for under $50 and once I installed it, ordered a 250GB SSD all from crucial.com...now I'm super confident my machine will go for a few more years comfortably. The main selling point of the new MBP is the ivy-bridge, the retina seems secondary since I don't do any photography or graphic design or even watch movies on my MBP. So for me it's not worth the money. The only games I play are SC2 and soon to be D3 so I'm all set. I'd say check your uses before selling your 2011.
     
  11. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #11
    I've been upgrading every generation.

    I am extremely happy with my current MacBook Pro, it's very fast; I love it and for the first time I don't think I will be upgrading this time around.

    I see no reason to upgrade. It does everything I need to do. It's not like I can't afford the new machine; I simply do not find the need to upgrade.

    I would consider this yourself. Do you need the new machine because the current machine you own does not satisfy your need? Or do you want a new machine simply because you "want a new machine?"

    (All that said, I might end up upgrading anyways)
     
  12. pmkoch macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2009
    #12
    If you don't mind me asking, how much money do you lose every time you sell the old generation Mac?
     
  13. Floris88 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2010
    Location:
    Amsterdam
    #13
    I am in the same boat.

    Not sure yet because I love my MBP with anti-glare and SSD at the moment... although its pretty heavy coming from a MBA:cool:
     
  14. mastaofdisasta thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2011
    #14
    I don't know man I'm stuck :/. The Macbook Pro I have now is fine, it more than meets my needs. But that retina screen is gonna be a gamechanger! I'm a multimedia user so I do a lot of movie watching and some movie and picture editing here and there on my Pro. The display is important to me based on my uses.

    If I were to sell it now, based on what prices are going for for the model I have now, I'll be selling it at a $700 loss from what I initially paid for it :/. Guess I gotta weigh my options....
     

Share This Page