Selling 3.1.2 jailbroken phone, how to restore to origninal 3.1.2?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by crunchymilk55, Jun 22, 2010.

1. crunchymilk55 macrumors member

clicking on restore asks me to update to the newest version as well. I want to put 3.1.2 on there so the next owner can unlock if they want to. I cannot seem to find the correct ipsw for the 3gs 3.1.2 original. Sorry if this question has been posted before I couldn't find it recently.

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

3. crunchymilk55 thread starter macrumors member

so those ipsw's wont work? The phone is still 3.1.2 so I'm surprised I can't revert.

Will "erase all my content and settings" get rid of everything and make it like new?

4. superslashers macrumors newbie

Wow i'll buy it!

LOL no i wont :p sorry I already have some of these things and I can jailbreak quite easly!

5. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

you will have to connect to iTunes afterwards and reinstall the OS, so no go for you, sorry.

6. crunchymilk55 thread starter macrumors member

well that sucks.

What would be the best option to sell this then? Will erase my content and settings remove all my info from the phone?

7. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

It will remove all your content, including your OS. So you would still have to plug it into iTunes when you're done and restore.

What i'm wondering is....can you just sync the iphone without any pictures, apps, notes, contacts, etc.? Then just delete the mailboxes and texts. Maybe even run iWipe from Cydia to zero it out. Would that effectively work, or am I oversimplifying this?

8. tikitommy macrumors regular

What if you've never updated/downloaded 3.1.3 to the computer?

I'm running 3.1.2 jailbroken and have not updated itunes since the 3.1.3 and have not downloaded 3.1.3 iphone OS.

Shouldn't I be able to restore my iphone like normal so that it is still at 3.1.2, allowing me to jailbreak and unlock without a problem???

9. crunchymilk55 thread starter macrumors member

that might work, but I would lose my stuff from itunes no?. I'm just surprised it's not possible. The last two times I've done this I just restored as a new phone under whatever firmware I wanted and then sold as is. I would understand if I had 4.0 on there, but it has 3.1.2 so it should be easy to revert to unjailbroken 3.1.2.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

NO, with the 3GS is not that simple.
    It was like that with 2G and 3G models.
    Read up and research some more before you attempt anything.
    All you can restore to is the latest 4.0 if you dont have your SHSH's saved thru cydia for other previous firmware builds.

11. tikitommy macrumors regular

I forgot to say i'm 3G.

Thanks.

12. crunchymilk55 thread starter macrumors member

Can I save it through cydia now?