Selling 5s....quick!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jtinch, Sep 9, 2014.

1. jtinch macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I need some help. I listed my iPhone 5s 32GB (in perfect condition, purchased in June) on eBay and it sold yesterday for $625 for the buy it now price. The payer backed out because I couldn't ship it overnight Monday and has refused to reply to my messages. I have relisted but would really like to get the money before the 6 comes out next Friday. I know eBay holds the money for sometime after an item sells. What's my best bet for getting the most money for my phone before Friday? Thanks for the help!

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If you don't want to use eBay, I would just use Craigslist. That's going to be your highest margin. The trade-in prgrams straight rip you off. They affered me $310-$375 (various sites) for a 64GB 5S. I sold it for $600 on craigslist within 24 hours of listing. It sold so fast I had to grab a cheap gophone (I actually love it, Lumia 520) for this line since I didn't have a spare.

3. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

The main thing is to watch your ass!

Very easy for someone to buy your phone and say it was damaged when they got it or send you back a box of rocks saying that they returned it. Paypal usually sides with the buyer (not the seller).

4. Ann P macrumors 68020

Swappa. Buyers tend to know exactly what they're looking for. All of my transactions have been smooth.

5. gagecloutier macrumors member

It's been awhile, so take it with a grain of salt, but I remember getting an extremely fair cash value for my iPhone 4 back in the day from GameStop (shocker, right?) when I upgraded to my iPhone 5. They offered even more than Gazelle did at the time and I got the cash within ~5 mins, without the hassle of shipping or any other transaction problems.

Of course, things may have changed since, but I'm considering doing the same again with my iPhone 5 to upgrade to my iPhone 6+.

6. 617aircav Suspended

List it on craigslist and meet up inside a carrier store. Check the money to make sure it's not counterfeit. Do this and you will be safe. All the risk is on the buyer.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I have never had eBay hold my money! I can take it out of Paypal anytime I want.

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

So,the OP is saying he can not buy a new phone UNTIL he gets his money for he old phone.

Why not buy the new phone with a credit card while waiting for your money to come through.

10. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Rocks? Really? Don't you have anything else to use that has some weight? :eek:

11. 617aircav Suspended

If you don't sell on eBay much they may hold your money.

12. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Oh, I see.

I did not know that!

13. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

Yea exactly. I have sold enough that ebay never holds my money anymore.

I have sold every one of my iPhones from THE iPhone up...only skipped the 5...on ebay and never had a problem. I have sold many iPads also. I sold 6 iPad2's then they were released and had no issues.

14. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

Oh, and OP....require immediate payment when you use buy it now and then you won't have any back out buyers.