Selling an iPhone 4 that was purchased from AT&T as an upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cjm3113, Aug 6, 2010.

1. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

My mother and brother both recently upgraded to iPhone 4s from their iPhone 3Gs. But upon receiving them, they have both decided to sell them. The phones come with a preinstalled sim card, do they need to open the phone and remove it before selling it?

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

3. cjm3113 thread starter macrumors 6502

Will the people who purchase the phones be able to activate them as 'new' instead of 'upgrades' then?

4. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Won't matter. Buyer just put in a micro-sim and it will work. New/upgrade does not matter to the buyer.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They might have problems activating it since its tied up to your account.
    Once the initial activation is done asking for your billing zip code and last 4 of your social thru itunes then they can activate it with any AT&T sim.
    But you should activate it first cause I dont think they can use it and go past that initial first activation screen.

6. Stein357 macrumors 6502

Take your SIM out and restore the phone completely so that it needs activation. The buyer will need to provide their own micro SIM and will be able to activate it under their account through iTunes.

7. VivaV macrumors member

Listen to Applejuiced - and do a bit of research... the activation process for the iPhone 4 is different from previous iPhones - especially the ones sent from Apple.com. As Applejuiced says an unactivated phone from apple.com needs a billing zip and last 4 nos of SSN to be activated.

Why wouldn't you do a restore then set up the phone as a new user and jailbreak/unlock it before selling? It is really easy to do - and it might make it have more value - esp. if Apple releases an update before the buyer receives the phone.

8. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Can anyone else confirm this?

I know my upgrade from ATT didn't need any info filled out and I was even able to activate the phone for the first time with my old (cut) 3GS sim.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Both my i4's came from AT&T.com and they both required that info to be entered into itunes for it to activate for the first time.
    It never asked for it again after that when I restored, it just activates like all other iphones after. But for the 1st time there's no way around it.

10. cjm3113 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks AppleJuiced. Will definitely take those steps!

Edit: Next question, they both removed their SIMs and cannot currently find them. Do I need the SIMs that came in the phone to activate?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not sure.
    It might work with their old sims but they will have to cut them to microsim size.
    Just gotta get thru that initial activation thats all. After that it will activate with any AT&T microsim.

12. cjm3113 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I just stuck the SIM from my iPhone 4 into the phones for the initial activation. I did not have to enter ZIP or last 4 of SSN. Installing my SIM activated both phones on it's own. So then I just went into iTunes and set them up as new phones.

These were purchased from AT&T, in case any one was wondering.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice, good to know.
    So your activated i4 sim worked on activating other iphone 4's?

14. cjm3113 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, the activated i4 sim activated the other phones without even connecting them to the computer.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thanks for the info.
    The activation with i4's seem to be a little more confusing than previous iphone models.