selling an old iphone to buy the new iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by halfmonkey, Sep 13, 2012.

1. halfmonkey macrumors regular

Has anybody used one of those 3rd party website to sell back their old iphones successfully? If so, would you recommending one?

2. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

You can either use Amazon's trade in program, (you usually get more than any third party sorta thing, but it's an Amazon Gift Card so it's a bit restricting). Otherwise I've used Gazelle.

3. Mr.C macrumors 601

I've always sold mine privately directly to the individual buyer usually a colleague at work. That way you get the best prices. You should really try to sell directly to the next owner maybe through Craig's List or eBay.

4. pprshell macrumors member

pprshell

I sold mine today on eBay for enough to cover a phone and a extra usb cord.
    I would recommend doing this or craigslist. I looked at the other online places to sell to but I would have to wait for them to send the package for me to ship my phone, then you wait for the money. If you don't mind the wait I would look at Gazelle or Glyde. Glyde offered me more money than Gazelle as of Tuesday.

Now I am stuck with a back up phone that requires a normal size SIM card. :confused:

5. halfmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

I ended up using the Apple Recycle program and got enough money back to cover the cos of upgrading so it was a win-win for me. Easy process too. The only catch is, they don't give you cash back. They give you an Apple gift card so as long as you're planning on spending money at an Apple store sometime soon, it's no big deal.

We're thinking of upgrading our router since Apple's new router now broadcasts 2.4 and 5ghz similtaneously.

6. sdyoyo macrumors member

Only used eBay auction or sold it personally to friends.

7. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I sold my wife's 16GB 4 on eBay Instant Sale. I locked in the price before pre-orders for the 5 opened, and got $200 for it (within a week, their asking price had dropped to $135). Nice because on a new iPhone release, they give you two weeks to mail the device. Got my money last week (I sent it in the week after receiving my 5). Took a little while for them to go through the backlog, but no issues. I used them last year too, and I'll probably use them when we sell the 4S next year to pay for the 5S.

Much better than dealing with potential scammers on eBay and Craigslist, which seem to come out of the woodwork on new iPhone releases.