Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james*b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Hi
I am selling a C2D MBP, probably on ebay. Could anyone recommend the best way to completely reset it prior to sale, and share any other advice about the best state to leave it in for the new owner? Obviously I am concerned about wiping personal data, but also that it is in a convenient state for its new owner.
For instance it is is currently running Mac OS X 10.7, but with a an older machine like this, might it be better left to the new owner to decide if they want to upgrade?
Also, I have verified the hard disc with disc utility and it says it is ok - but them machine has a 6 year old physical drive - are there any easy tests so that I can double check that I am not selling someone a unit with problems, at least in the short term?
Thanks in advance,

james*b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Thanks for the advice. Is it recommendable to upgrade the OS to a newer version? It is currently on 10.7 and the processor is C2D.

Last edited:

Netsurfer

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2009
Best choice is Snow Leopard but you know, it's no longer supported so... I don't know...
I have a macbook pro late 2006 with Snow Leopard on and until a couple of weeks ago it worked perfectly (then I faced a GPU problem...).
If you take care of some things (use other browsers, are protected in your network, add some things manually regarding IPv6, be careful on the internet) it still works just fine...
It's your choice... BTW with Snow Leopard it runs more smoothly...

About wiping your data... when you initialize the disk you can choose... one pass, two passes and so on... it should be enough.

About the health...if you have Windows, just do a pass with HD Tune... :)

of course, you MUST use a SSD with that Mac... so it gets really new life :-D

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I still use 10.6.8 on my mid-2010 vintage MBPro, and it still runs fine.

If the MacBook will run 10.6.8, that's a good OS.

If you want something more current, I'd recommend 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion).

I -would NOT- recommend Mavericks or Yosemite for an older MacBook with a platter-based HDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.