Selling an older mac: installing updates and apps and still have it show the "intro"?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DaSal, Oct 23, 2009.

1. DaSal macrumors regular

Hey,

I'm about to sell an older Mac, and my buyer asked if I could install Snow Leopard and iLife for him, as well as update the machine. Of course it's easy to do this, but this will leave him with a user account he didn't configure himself. I was wondering how to update the mac and install the software and then reset it so that when he first boots it up he does get the intro movie and the user creation process?

I found this guide, but it's referring to iBooks so it's pretty old, can anybody confirm it still works for Snow Leopard?

Thanks in advance! ;)

http://mikewest.org/2006/04/preparing-a-mac-for-resale

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Boot up from your System Install DVD and reformat the drive and then do an install. After the install is done just turn the machine off, you won't be able to do a proper "shut down" but it doesn't really matter (once the installation is done there is no harm since no copying is taking place).

When the new owner turns on the Mac he'll get the "First Time" experience.
    EDIT: You won't be able to run any updates and get the Movie intro and stuff. I would leave that stuff to the new owner.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Note that the method looks like it was from Leopard. There were enough changes from Tiger to Leopard that this method had changed. While Leopard and SL are pretty close, there is a possibility it could be different. Although the code is fairly benign so it shouldn't hurt to try it. None of your data is on there to lose anyway.

The OP's link looks closer to the method I used on Tiger, with a few extra steps. You can see the similarities though.

5. DaSal thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Worked like a charm! :)