Selling black iPhone 4 on eBay once white is available

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by palmerc2, Jun 15, 2010.

1. palmerc2 macrumors 68000

palmerc2

Okay, so like many others I am pissed that white will not be available at launch, even though Mr. Jobs said it would be.

IF it is not possible to exchange black for white, for free, once its available. I am just trying to exercise my options.

If I pre-order black, have it delivered here on launch day. Enjoy it for however long until the white is available, then sell it on eBay for however much (possibly around $600 for 32GB model?)

What are my options when I go to the Apple store to buy a white one with no iPhone, but it says I have one on file? Will I need to pay some sort of fee, like an early termination fee to get a white one? Will I have to pay the $299 and $399 price? Which I won't mind, as long as I cut even.

I am NOT looking to make a profit here, I just want to enjoy the iPhone when it comes out and I just want it to be in white!! This flip phone I have right now as a substitute is annoying as all hell

edit: I am not looking for a morality test here. I am sure that if it were the other way around (only white being available) you would do the same thing.

2. ludawg23 macrumors 6502

It's the same as if you lost, got your phone stolen or broke it. You would have to pay full price for an additional phone.

3. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

You will lose money by doing this. You think Aple will sell you as many iPhones at 299/399 as you'd like and you can just go selling them on ebay for 600+? If so, do you think you are the first person to think of this? I am not going to go into detail as to why you won't be able to do this and make money or even come close to breaking even, because it doesn't really matter. Just understand that it isn't possible without without costing you a good amount of money.

4. palmerc2 thread starter macrumors 68000

palmerc2

hmm, okay thanks for the heads up. Like I said, I am not looking to make a profit here at all. I guess Apple already knows theres hundreds of thousands of people out there that will do it though....so I guess that makes sense.

What is the restocking fee at Apple?

I am just hoping Apple has some sort of option to exchange black for white, for free because of this mishap

5. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

The price will be $599/$699 depending on the size. Depending on availability of the iPhone4 at launch you may be able to break even.

6. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

I will be surprised if Apple does some sort of exchange . . . I mean, no one is really forcing you to get the black when you know the white iPhone is coming at some point.

7. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I don't see why you couldn't sell it on eBay then buy a white one" but I would call Apple first to make sure you could purchase another one (for full price of course) a month or so later.

I've sold two past iPhones on eBay before. Be prepared to get scammed. The last one I sold was for 450.00 and it was the 3gs. I sold it last December. I ran 4 auctions on it because idiots kept running up the bid then would not pay for it. All you can do is turn them into eBay so eBay will let you re-list for free. I finally figured out to do a Buy it Now auctian where they have to pay right away. Just know if you choose that option to make sure you check that they have to pay right away. I didn't know that until too late & the Guy that clicked on my Buy it Now button took 5 days to pay.