Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kristofer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2007
A while ago, my macbook was acquainted with a water spill and it began to exhibit a number of troubling symptoms: It would start up, but its screen would immediately shut off and go too dark to see anything.

I brought it to someone to fix it and he claimed that if he plugged the laptop into a different monitor, it still worked fine. He said I could use the laptop as a desktop, but if I wanted to use it as a laptop I would need a new logic board.

So I got a new laptop.

My water-spilled computer sat in the closet for months and then, one day I took it out to get ready and sell it. I was in the process of transferring some data off it (I had restarted and held down “T” to access it with my newer mac) when after a time, the display shot back to life. I was really shocked and pleased.

Unfortunately my good mood was short lived. The Mac failed again, the display disappearing.

I want to sell this thing. I’m sure someone would find it useful for parts. But I want to be honest about its state so no one buys it thinking they can use it without much trouble.

Is there a specific set of problems that follow a waterspill that match up with what I have described above as happening to my laptop, that I can try to explain briefly in an Ebay selling window? I could just write out the whole story, but its specific problem I am unsure of. I was told I need a new logic board, yet the logic board works with a different monitor? That doesn't make sense, does it? So do I just need a new display and the logic board is actually fine?

Can someone help me explain to potential buyers what exactly is wrong with the Mac?

Many thanks!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
The exact problem is that it's had water spilled all over it :p

Honestly, I'd say just that.

MacBook for sale. Suffered water damage but still works with random issues (specifically display).

Sold as seen.

blah blah blah...

Kristofer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2007
The exact problem is that it's had water spilled all over it :p

Honestly, I'd say just that.

MacBook for sale. Suffered water damage but still works with random issues (specifically display).

Sold as seen.

blah blah blah...

Ah, that makes it easy. Thank you very much. Any idea how much someone is usually willing to buy such a thing for?

surflordca

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Any idea how much someone is usually willing to buy such a thing for?

Are you putting it on Ebay? Just start with the lowest price you are willing to take for it. Remember, you won't get much so I would start low. A couple of bucks is better than none when you will just end up putting it into the trash...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.