Selling colored iphone vs black iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lindzmm, Jul 16, 2012.

1. lindzmm macrumors newbie

So I have a 32 gig iphone 4 that is unlocked and jailbroken. On ebay, this could probably sell for $550 if the back wasn't shattered. because of this, I am going to buy a new back plate on amazon and fix it myself. My question is, which is more profitable, a black Iphone or a blue/red/any other color one? I understand that if it wasn't jailbroken, it would be the colored one but I don't know who would spend $550 on a phone, and if they did, would they want it in a color? How much do you think I could sell a colored iPhone for, and which color would be best? Also, I've noticed that not many people sell colored iPhones. Is this a plus, because they're rare and you could make more money off of it, or is there a reason not many people are doing it? Thanks so much in advance!
    P.s. I'm planing on buying a galaxy s3 and making 3-4 hundred $ off the exchange which I think is a fairly realistic goal, if I can make any money whatsoever, I'd call it a success considering I made money and got a brand new phone out of it!

2. sevendeadly101 macrumors newbie

If you put a different color back they'll know something happened to the phone (a drop). Just replace it with the same color and don't be fancy. As long as the phone works fine, you'll sell it for a fair price and everyone will be happy. Change the color and it will open up questions like "Did you modify this yourself", "Does it come with the original backplate cover?".

3. skidbubble macrumors 6502

Changing the back color is different / unique but are you also going to change the front bezel as well? It would be awkward if the front remained black and the back was some other color, IMHO.

4. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Changing the color of the case may come across as a fake. Just keep it real.

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I'd rather an honest ad and the cracked back.

A color would scare me away. I'd know there were modifications done to it and wouldn't trust that nothing else was changed or that anything was changed correctly.

If you didn't mention that you changed it, a new black back from Amazon would be even worse. I wouldn't know there were any modifications done to the phone until after I bid, won, and it was delivered... at which point, I'd bring it to the local Apple store to have it looked over and activated, they'd likely tell me it wasn't an OEM back, and eBay/ Paypall would be getting a letter, a fraud claim would be in place, and I'd get my money back.

6. troy14 macrumors 6502a

It's very, very hard to tell even an okay replica back from OEM. I don't even think an Apple Genius would be able to look it over and say "that's a fake back"... ridiculous.

If they took the phone apart, maybe... but I doubt they'd do that anyways.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Take it in to Apple. $30 and they fix it for you. OEM parts. THAT is the most profitable, IMO.

8. lindzmm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone! I'll definitely go with black.
    By the way, I definitely plan on stating that it had been used so I don't think it would be an issue. The phone is in perfect working condition aside from the back which I am going to fix.

9. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Used and modified are two completely different things.

With one of them, if there were a problem down the road, Apple will still look at and fix it. If they can tell it's not an OEM part, they won't.

That would be reason enough for me to not buy your phone - or, if I were to buy it, it'd be for much less than I'd normally pay.