Selling Comp, Safe to Give Picture of License Plate?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theturtle, Jun 30, 2011.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

serious question here. I have a buyer for my 2011 macbook pro. I talked to him on the phone and he sounds cool. We're meeting up tomorrow. He mentioned one thing though, that he needs to take a picture of my license plate just in case anything goes wrong.

of course me being paranoid, im thinking about all the things that he could do with my license plate.

what do you guys think? is it smart allowing the guy to take a picture (even though people see my plate on the road all the time. taking a picture is a bit different) of my plates?

2. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

I don't see anything wrong with it. The only reason I can imagine that he's doing that is so just in case you rip him off somehow and give him false information he can go to the authorities with the picture and they will have your correct information. He's just being careful.

3. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know and i applaud him for being safe. we need more carful buyers like that.

my only concern is if he could do anything harmful with that information. From the information he told me, he lives about 15 minutes away. so being in such close proximity with him and all, was wondering if having a thing such as my license plate (which can lead to my address being found out etc etc) would be harmful to me in anyway.

i know, paranoid. i just like to be 100% sure when i do things like this. :D

4. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

Hes most likely just trying to be safe. If you meet up and something is not right dont give it to him.

5. The Mad Mule macrumors regular

When you do, put a large watermark on the picture, something like:

Taken by [your name here]

on [date the photo was taken]

6. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

And that does what? If he's trying to steal your info, I really don't see what's the point of doing this.

7. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

I can take your license plate picture any time. Its no big deal. Just come to the meet up with two of your 'fellas' with you. You know; no neck, big dudes wearing sunglasses, and are nothing but muscle.

8. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

sorry, is that a joke or advice? :confused:

9. ViviUO macrumors 6502

10. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

11. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Simple, just ask if it will be ok for you to take a picture of his license plate as well. I understand your concerns, but now you have his license plate in case you think he does anything with your information.

12. cinek macrumors 6502

don't worry - ppl can see your plate anyway, take a picture of his plate etc if you want you can take a pic of him too, as the plate doesn't really show anything, I could be driving your car

13. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

i think he's just trying to be safe.

maybe he's thinking u might give him counterfeit cash and when he needs to report u to the police he will give them ur license plate number.

not much he can do with just ur license plate number. hence it's all over the cars in public view. (unlike ur drivers license number which is in ur wallet).

14. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Without letting him know before-hand, you should get a picture of him and one of his driver's license. Let him know you're not messing around and you're willing to go a step further. Then if you're paranoid, email the pictures onto a good friend or family member and let them know if anything happens to you, that person is suspect #1.

15. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

it's not against the law to take a picture of a license plate. unless he has the means to run the tag and get your info. (which is illegal) there's nothing he can do with it. with all the stolen crap floating around i would do the same.

16. 7thMac macrumors 6502

Your plate is public. I would be more concerned about the buyer's information if for some reason he is not paying by cash.

17. madonionrings macrumors member

You should take one of him and his plates as well. If he is brining cash, its a worthwhile investment to get a counterfeit pen. They are like $5 at staples. Make sure the cash is all legit.