Selling cookies? Not in my neighborhood!

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
TEMECULA, Calif. – A man is accused of pulling a gun on a girl scout when she came to his door selling cookies, reports CBS Los Angeles.

Police arrived at the scene on Sunday after receiving an assault with a deadly weapon call and arrested the suspect, 59-year-old John Dodrill of Temecula, Calif.

According to police, the victim – a minor – was going around the neighborhood selling cookies when Dodrill allegedly opened his door and pointed a gun at her.

The girl’s father saw the alleged confrontation and called authorities.

Dodrill was arrested without incident, and police said a weapon was seized as evidence in the case.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cops-california-man-pulls-gun-on-girl-scout-selling-cookies/

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
So now we arrest gun owners for merely pointing their weapon at a kid who knocked on their door? It's not like he shot the kid or something.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
So now we arrest gun owners for merely pointing their weapon at a kid who knocked on their door? It's not like he shot the kid or something.
Now? It has always been illegal to willy-nilly point a gun at someone. :|

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
My sarcasm detector is...not having an easy time with this thread.
Mine shorted out a while back. I don't know who is being sarcastic and who isn't. :(
Wrong instrument. Try using your ironometer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony#Verbal_irony_and_sarcasm

[PEDANTIC]
And, thanks everyone for starting my day with a laugh -- definitely good for my health. When I saw the original article, my blood pressure started to go up. And, that might be why ironic humor was invented. [/PEDANTIC]

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
This is just a prediction on my part, but I don't think you're going to see much of a counter-argument from the firearm owners on here. Several have stated that you should not point a gun at anything that isn't a threat or that you wouldn't shoot. It seems obvious that you shouldn't point a gun at someone who rings the doorbell or knocks. If you don't feel safe answering, why not just not answer the door instead?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
If nobody can knock on your door without a gun being pointed to their face, then maybe you shouldn't be able to possess a gun. Or maybe build a freaking moat around your home so nobody can reach your door. What that guy did is extremely ridiculous and irresponsible.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
If we can shoot kids for carrying Skittles and iced tea, I don't see why we can't shoot kids carrying Thin Mints. What's the big deal here? :confused: