Selling cracked iPhone - Can I reduce to a cheaper AT&T plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ricgnzlzcr, Oct 11, 2008.

1. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

So I dropped my iphone on the pavement tonight and cracked the screen. The touch screen is still working perfectly but I think I'm going to have to part with it because the cost of repairing it is a bit ridiculous. Instead I think I'm going to sell it on ebay.

I want to know how much it will cost to switch to a more affordable AT&T plan with a basic phone I already have. Will there be a fee considering I had to sign a 2 year contract for the iphone plan?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

could you not transfer the sim to a new phone and simply downgrade your plan?

if not, the etf would rid you of the contract

3. ricgnzlzcr thread starter macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

Well that's what I'm not sure of. Can I just simply do that without any extra cost. For some reason I feel that having an iPhone specific contract would be a tiny bit different, hence I was wondering if anyone here had gone through something similar or would just happen to know.

Also, what's etf? :)

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sorry to hear about your damaged iPhone, I believe you can get it replaced at the Apple Store for $200, but you have to turn the iPhone into them and you'll get a replacement. Check with the Apple Store...:(

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

etf is the end termination fee. i believe its 175 which at that point may as well fix the iphone

6. ricgnzlzcr thread starter macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

Well the problem is that I don't want to pay $200 more to fix it (I thought it was $250). I think I can deal with a basic phone for awhile if it means not spending too much more. Thanks for the advice though.

Got it. Well if I can just downgrade to a basic phone and lower my monthly plan I'll be happy. Hopefully when I call AT&T they'll give me the go ahead.