Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebmyszkow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Curious, I am selling my iMac G3 450 MHz w/640 mb ram a Firewire CD/RW, a zip 100 drive and OS 10.3 disks. How much would you pay for something like that. Right now I am getting offered $200 and I wanted to make sure it's an ok price.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I'd pay more than that if I had any money. I don't know much about how much older machines go for, but it seems to me you could probably get at least 300 for that.

ebmyszkow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
That's what I thought, but I was getting no interest in $300. One guy only offered me $150 and I told him he was crazy. I just upped the ram by 512 and that cost me $75 .

ebmyszkow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Problem I'm running into is people say I can get a mini for $500 why would I want to spend $300 on a five year old machine.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
ebmyszkow said:
Problem I'm running into is people say I can get a mini for $500 why would I want to spend $300 on a five year old machine.

And I'd agree with them. This machine in the UK is going for around $250 converted, if that.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
ebmyszkow said:

well, they have a good point. The single advantage the iMac has is that its already got the monitor keyboard and mouse. In every other way, its an inferior machine. check out some ebay listings for similar machines and see what they end up going for. That may give you an idea of what the market will bear. After all, the machine is only actually worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and that machine, however nice, is vastly outdated and limited in usefulness for some people for a number of reasons.

ebmyszkow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
On ebay similar machines w/less ram are going for around $150. So, I guess $200 isn't bad. Thanks for all your input!

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Cause thats still a decent machine and macs last a long time. and a $500 mac mini only has 256 mb of ram and an iMac has a monitor included.

thats a great computer especially for grandma or if you have younger kids.

ebmyszkow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Heb1228 said:
Cause thats still a decent machine and macs last a long time. and a $500 mac mini only has 256 mb of ram and an iMac has a monitor included.

thats a great computer especially for grandma or if you have younger kids.

Well, most people have a monitor already and 512 r ram on the mini only costs $50 more. Plus I need some cash to help pay for the mini I just bought :D Actually I'm kinda sad about selling it. There's nothing wrong with it at all except that it's a little to slow, but for internet and email it's fine. I thought giving it to my parents, but none of my moms PC games would work on it. It will be going to a child though. The guy that's buying from me is giving it to his kids because he uses imacs at school.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.