Selling iMac - Need Original iPhotos and all iTunes Music to External

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by J-W, Nov 9, 2014.

1. J-W macrumors newbie

I am selling my older iMac and I need to grab all of the photos I have placed into iPhoto as well as everything I've either bought or added to iTunes - and I cannot see where these files are located in the Finder... Checked under Music and Photos in Home folder - but these are libraries. I am moving all the old files from iMac to an external and later importing / copying over files to my MBA. Help! Thanks!

2. NoBoMac, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014

NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Should be able to copy the whole Photos folder to external: all the iPhoto stuff is in the library you found (it's actually a folder: can select and do "Show Contents").

Ditto the iTunes folder under Music. Don't know which version of iTunes started, but currently, all iOS apps are buried in there.

In case of iTunes stuff, can always redownload items.

Oh and: might want to go into iTunes and do the "consolidate" of library, to pull in any media that's floating around not in iTunes folder proper, before doing your copy.

Oh and 2: can do a TimeMachine backup to that external drive and migrate your stuff back when setting up the new Air.