Selling iMac tomorrow...how to erase the HDD? Also, can I access Time Machine backups

Discussion in 'iMac' started by FubsyGamr, Oct 2, 2011.

1. FubsyGamr macrumors regular

Hey guys! I purchased my 27" iMac a few months ago, and I was very happy with it up until the release of the Battlefield 3 beta. I discovered that my iMac (as amazing and beefy as it is) is just not equipped to run this game the way I want it to, and I put it up on ksl and craigslist for sale. I will be building my own gaming PC rig with the money. (I still have my MacBook Pro, no worries, apple fanboys!)

Two questions:
    1- How can I erase the hard drive, and make sure that it is completely clean and ready for the next user? If I boot using OS X Lion's recovery partition, and use Disk Utitily to wipe the hard drive, will that do it? If so, will I need to even re-download OS X Lion? What do you recommend that I do?

2- I have a bunch of movies, tv shows and music (as well as documents) backed up on my Time Machine. Assuming files are compatible, can I plug in my external drive into my new Windows 7 PC, and access the files? Or do I need to convert it somehow?
    Thanks for any/all help!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Yes, you can use Disk Utility. Make sure to securely erase the HD so the data won't be recoverable. You also need to re-download Lion while installing.

2. Windows cannot read HFS+ and TM backups are troublesome too. I recommend you to create a new exFAT partition in the external and move the data there. Then Windows will be able to read them without any issues.

In fact, I just did the same thing, sold my iMac and built a PC. I took apart my external and stick the HD right in the PC for faster speeds. BF3 runs flawlessly too (i5-2500K, AMD 6850, 8GB) :)

3. FubsyGamr thread starter macrumors regular

That's crazy, man! Yea I'm gonna be running the i5-2500k, 2 nVidia 580's SLI, 8 GB RAM.

I'll even be doing the same thing with my external drive.

Thanks for the tips :)