All iPads Selling iPad Mini--Buyer wants the original sim card included...why?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Honey Badger, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

I was going to sell my iPad Mini locked to T-Mobile and remove the sim card. I have a potential buyer that would like to buy it, but only if the original sim card comes with it. Have no idea why he would want it. My T-Mobile plan gave me 200mb data/month free for life so maybe that plan comes with the original sim card? I have no idea.

Anybody know why he would want my original sim card?

Am I risking anything by giving him the original sim card?

Should I destroy the sim card or keep it with the sold iPad?

Thanks for your help.

2. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Don't think giving your SIM card put you at any risk. Just deactivate your SIM!

3. Honey Badger thread starter macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Thanks for your response.

How do I deactivate the sim?

I went to settings and erased all content and then I closed my T-Mobile account by calling them...is that what you mean or is there something else I need to do?

4. MacTCE macrumors 6502

Closing your account should deactivate the sim. I personally have never used T-Mobile, but every other carry I've dealt with doesn't reuse sims.

5. laudern macrumors 6502a

Why don't you just ring T-mobile and clarify it with them?

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

If your account has been closed then the sim card is deactivated. You're good.

7. ninaco macrumors 6502

ninaco

I'm hoping to sell my own 4G iPad. Is there any benefit to the buyer if the SIM card is included? Can it be used by them on a new account?

8. Honey Badger thread starter macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

LOL, good idea, I will do that and report back. I guess I just figured, from a business standpoint, that it would be a conflict of interest and they would tell me to just throw the sim card away because they would want to sell another sim card or not have to give 200mb of data away for free anymore. But I will call them and find out. Be back later.

9. Honey Badger thread starter macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Okay, got off the phone with T-Mobile. The representative said the buyer of my iPad would want the original sim card because it would save him from paying $20 for a new sim card. The representative also said the 200MB for life data plan does not transfer with the card, but is probably still available if they opened a new account. The rep also said that when the account was closed/deactivated, there would be no personal information left on the sim card except contacts ONLY IF I had purposely transferred contacts from the hard drive of the iPad to the sim card, which I did not do. So, they gave the go ahead to sell the iPad with the sim card included. Problem solved, thanks everybody!

10. 617aircav Suspended

The deactivated SIM card is now useless. It can't be reused.

11. Honey Badger thread starter macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

So I guess the buyer has to spend $20 for a new sim card anyway is what you're telling me. Well, Im no expert, and I would go with what you say, but the iPad does have the old sim card in it and it does allow me to start the new account set up process with the old sim card in it....maybe, since the card is deactivated, it would not let me complete the process if I proceeded, but it looks like it would.

12. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Are you sure there is a fee for a new SIM card? At one point I didn't use any data on my iPad for several months. The SIM card was then deactivated. I went into a T-mobile store, and they replaced the SIM card for free. I'm not sure why you would be charged.

13. Honey Badger thread starter macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

They probably comped you a sim card because the T-Mobile agent I just talked to said they are about $20.

14. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

The buyer probably doesn't realize that the SIM card can't be reused, or that it won't transfer over the 200 MB per month account to them. According to T-Mobile's website, they still have their 99-cent SIM card promotion. So if you're feeling generous, you could let your buyer know that.

15. Honey Badger thread starter macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Thanks much!