Selling iphone 4 32gb on Craig's list or ebay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gaidin43, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Gaidin43 macrumors regular

So I've been trying to sell this AT&T iPhone on Craig's list or ebay. Put in the unlock request and have done anything and everything to show that I am a legit seller and that the phones in great condition but its not selling.

Is the market that flooded with phones that even when I undercut everyone's price it still isn't moving?

All I am getting is scammers off Craig's list and nothing from eBay.

2. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

I see so many on eBay and craigslist I think I'm going to wait till it calms down some. I got 400 locked in for gazelle but there is miniscule little mark on the silver band that I'm afraid they are going to try to knock the price down some. I think I would do better on craigslist in late October or November.

3. mzd macrumors 6502a

i got one bid on my 4 32GB just as the auction was ending on this past sunday night. my base price was $250 with a $300 BIN. so i got $250. i didn't have any activity (or even watchers) until the end. but it sold, and the instant sale price has dropped from $235 early last week to $200, so i still made out ahead of any trade in.
    i had it on craigslist as well and got a couple emails, but nothing panned out (one wanted me to drive 70 miles - nope).
    the market is flooded now, but having an unlocked iPhone will help.
    i would choose your minimum price and hold out until you get it. people here have mentioned that after the ip5 dies down in a few weeks, the market for the ip4 should recover some.

4. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I sold my 32GB 4 (AT&T) for $200 on craigslist yesterday.

It was it great condition though. I take really good care of my stuff

5. Dreshyne2g macrumors newbie

Wow I must have been lucky. I sold my wife's iphone 4 16gb on Craigslist for 250 this past Sunday.

6. R1PPER macrumors 6502

I sold mine for £270 at Mazuma.com just before the iphone 5 keynote. Completely safe and i don't pay commission... thats $438 dollars :)

7. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

I sold mine on Craigslist as soon as iPhone 5 was announced and got $275. I was amazed by the response. I got about 18 calls, emails and texts immediately and within 2 hours it was gone.

It really helps if you and get ATT to unlock it, which they will if you have a contract in good standing and have had the phone at least 18months

8. iWeldonJ macrumors member

I sold my 32 gb iPhone 4S for $360 on Craigslist. Posted it for $400. That was the day before launch as I knew the market would be saturated the following day. iPhone was I'm excellent condition.

9. TomTomTuning macrumors regular

Every year, once the rumors begin to roll in I list my iPhone for sale on Craigslist. I usually get top dollar for them, which results in me make money because I've purchased the phone at the subsided price.

Unfortunately this year I wasn't paying attention to the blogs and found out a week before the media event. I listed my 64GB 4s on Craigslist but it did not sell.

I made a post about it on Facebook and one of my friends bough it. I sold it for $400 bucks so I made my money back and got the 64GB iPhone 5. I even got my activation charge waved, so I broke even.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

While eBay has a wider audience, you will need to charge more to cover all the ebay and PayPal fees than if you just deal in cash with Paypal.

Or you could use both.

11. Gaidin43 thread starter macrumors regular

Been trying to use both. Hopefully people will start wanting them shortly otherwise I have no use for a great phone. The 4 is still a decent phone an better then a lot out there. Just surprised more people don't want them for networks they can't get them on.

12. DJRosko macrumors newbie

I sold a brand new 32GB iPhone 4(apple swapped out my old one with 12 days of AppleCare left) to gamestop for $158.40 cash in hand-would have been $198 for store credit-good option-cash money and no waiting!

13. Skyfox16 macrumors newbie

I sold mine on Amazon using the Trade in program before the Iphone 5 was released. (setup trade in on 9/11 and sent the phone in on the 18th)

Mine was in perfect condition VZW 16GB 4S (white) and Amazon gave me a $410 gift card that showed up right on my account 2 days after they recieved my phone.

Ok so a giftcard wasnt what i wanted especially for amazon- it would take me forever to use that up. So here was my work around after confirming with amazon i could use the gift card for anything listed on the site:

I had my friend make a listing for a Macbook pro computer- used the gift card to buy it and he gave me the cash (from the payment that amazon gave to him from me using my giftcard) ~$385 after Amazon took ~6%. (no computer was actualy sold - but computers have the lowest % of fees so this route was a lot better than ebay and paypal fees.

My 4S was on ebay for about two weeks with low ball offers around $250 and i had 5 cases, and other accessories with it. So i was happy to get $385 all said and done. Amazon even pays for you to ship your phone to them.

Currently you can still get $375 as a gift card for a vzw 16gb white 4S. So you could get $350 cash after the above process if you have a second amazon account or a friend to help out.

14. Lick macrumors member

Don't you have to pay listing fee's in addition to sale/paypal fees? I feel like i remember reading ebay takes roughly 15%.

15. jumpmandds macrumors regular

It's too flooded right now on both sites really

16. mzd macrumors 6502a

paypal fees, yes, but ebay has/had a special going on with free listing and free BIN. but yes, there is a 9% final value fee. so i'm out $31.55 total in paypal+ebay fees from my $250 sale.

17. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

I sold my iPhone 4 32 GB unlocked for $270 on Craigslist yesterday. I posted my ad last Friday when my iPhone 5 arrived. I received one serious inquiry for it, who ended up being the buyer in the end.

As I look at Craigslist now, it appears that people are rushing to dump their iPhone 4's especially.

While an iPhone 4 unlocked can be especially useful for international usage, the hardware looks very dated with the 5 on the market. On a related note, I posted my iPhone 4 just out of curiosity in early August for $400 and got a few serious inquiries. Once the 5 hit the market, it appears the 4's resale value dropped a great deal.

18. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I sold my iPhone 4 32 GB unlocked on Thursday right before release day on Craigslist for $300. I had listed it for $340, but was glad to get 300.

Do you have a bunch of really good pictures of the phone, and all the accessories included? Include lots of closeups, and write a REALLY good description. Make sure you put UNLOCKED in the title, and mention that it is factory unlocked and ready for use on T-Mobile and international carriers.

It amazes me that people put a crappy one sentence post on Craigslist with terrible spelling for a $300+ item and expect someone to buy it. Not saying you're doing that, but a lot of people do.

Good luck.

19. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

you guys must be really bad salespeople lol.... I sold my iphone 4 32gb on craigslist for $340 a week before the 5 was announced.... I sold my girlfriends iphone 4 32gb yesterday for $320

Both were At&t unlocked and in excellent condition with original box and chargers, not sure if that was the difference. Or perhaps since I'm in NYC which is a more expensive market.

*edit* Vertigo makes some excellent points, I made sure to give a detailed description and included plenty of nice pictures with different angles

20. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

Wow you got ripped. That's 3GS level prices.

21. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Not everyone wants to deal with waiting on a buyer and price haggling, which people on Craigslist love to do. My iPhone 4S, my wife iPhone 4, and my kids 3GS will be going to Gamestop to offset our upgrades in a couple weeks.

22. MrJay23 macrumors member

Just sold my white Verizon 32gb 4s for 400 last night through craigslist

23. Resist macrumors 68030

Just received my new AT&T iPhone 5. I started a new contract with it. Is my old iPhone 4 now unlocked by AT&T after I setup my new iPhone?